Looking for advice for purchasing a wood lathe and tools

Page 2 of 2

You probably noticed that each of the lathes in question is bolted to the stand. Makes it pretty much moot what the particular stand weighs, because you can bolt more weight to it, even up to the "big one" - mother earth. Some people even build their own stand to better fit their shop. Red herring.
Rigidity is a virtue. Don't want that turning flopping around relative to the lathe, or the spindle of the lathe relative to the bed, or the toolrest relative to any.... The important thing.

The HP is nearly as red a herring as the weight. You only need enough to take off a shaving, right? And you, at much less than 1 HP can turn the piece on its bearings, so the rest is potential harm to you.

As I say, mine's got a bunch of hours on it, and I don't baby it. But I don't hack wood, either. Those who do will likely have different things to say about any two lathes.

Just remembered another thing I've come to love about the Nova - the offset toolrest. That extra inch or so of leverage a centered post requires you give to a tool can be a real problem, especially if you're cutting at high speeds!
Thanks again George
Ok ... so weight and HP should really be out of the picture
How do you feel about the belt changing vs the Reeves?
Do you think the Nova can be put on wheels? (vs a mobile base) ... as the Jet can?
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 01:19:37 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

That's not very much $. You might try for something used. My lathe is the most expensive machine in my shop (just under $5000). Just the cast iron legs alone were $900, and that was 10 years ago. You can make your own hollow legs and fill with sand.

Length is probably one important characteristic. Heavy is good. 220v is better than 120v. Serviceable/replacement parts

Nice to have. I don't have a swivel headstock.

I have variable speed. It adds to the cost but is a very nice feature. To keep costs low you may have to go with a stepped pulley arrangement.

Reversible is nice to get a nice smooth finish. I wired-in a reverse switch and saved $100.

large gouge bowl or small gouge parting tool skew various scrapers

Sorby is very good. I have no complaints about their handles. A starter set of quality turning tools might run about $600. You will also need sharpening stones and tools.

Made in USA. Canada is good too. No China tools!
You don't say where you are located and your $1,000 will not cover this, but I just received an advertisement from a fellow in Bodega Bay, California who is wanting to sell his entire shop for $3500. He has two lathes (one a Nova) several Nova chucks, turning tools, bandsaw, grinder, dust collector system, compressor, many calipers and a heavy duty drill press all for the $3,500. Sounds lika a good buy for someone wanting to get into turning. If you're interested, e-mail
Fred Holder <htto://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/woodturn.htm>
On Nov 4, 5:19 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 20:28:30 -0800, Fred Holder

That sounds like a very good deal for someone starting out, especially for name-brand (non China) machines.
You've gotten tons of advice, just one more thing.
Leave enuf money in your budget to get a good scroll chuck. They ought to sell lathes with those in place, they are so handy. I turned for two year using faceplates and glue blocks, and when I finally got a chuck, the light went on.
BTW, I'm using a Jet 1442 with the reeve's drive, and have made a LOT of shavings with it. I'm happy with it, but will buy another one when I win the lottery.
Old Guy
On Nov 4, 7:19 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Sorry for the delay ... was delayed by an emergency at work
No Way, Ecnerwal & Nailshooter41 - Thank you ... you have set my mind at ease with regards to the bed extension for the Nova
Fred - Sorry I was not clear ... earlier I said I was in Colorado Springs ... yes that does sound like a bargain
Mac - Thanks for the advice about the turners meeting ...
Any thoughts about the
Jet 1642EVS-2 http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid `031
or the
Jet 1642EVS http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyidT33
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Both are good choices, I looked that them real hard before buying the Nova DVR-XP. When I hit a deal on the Nova I went that way
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 01:19:37 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Fine Woodworking May/June 2007 had a review of lathes. The author liked the Jet you have been considering, but picked the Nova 1624 as best value. The award went to a Powermatic at $3200, probably out of your price range.
He recommends adding ballast to stabilize the Nova.
Thank you all for the helpful and friendly advice
I thought it would be best to actually do some work on the machines ... so I went to Woodcraft ... of course ...
Didnt get to work with the Nova ... but the Powermatic with the DC motor they have ... according to Woodcraft ... performs like the DVR ... but is MUCH more stable ... and has a longer bet
So I tested the JET EVS and decided to go with this ... as I really like the variable speed all the way down to 0
I just made the purchase ... now 2 weeks to wait for pickup at Woodcraft
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyidT33
Thanks again to everyone