Looking for advice for purchasing a wood lathe and tools

That's not very much $. You might try for something used. My lathe is the most expensive machine in my shop (just under $5000). Just the cast iron legs alone were $900, and that was 10 years ago. You can make your own hollow legs and fill with sand.

Length is probably one important characteristic. Heavy is good.

220v is better than 120v. Serviceable/replacement parts

Nice to have. I don't have a swivel headstock.

I have variable speed. It adds to the cost but is a very nice feature. To keep costs low you may have to go with a stepped pulley arrangement.

Reversible is nice to get a nice smooth finish. I wired-in a reverse switch and saved $100.

large gouge bowl or small gouge parting tool skew various scrapers

Sorby is very good. I have no complaints about their handles. A starter set of quality turning tools might run about $600. You will also need sharpening stones and tools.

Reply to
Phisherman

Made in USA. Canada is good too. No China tools!

Reply to
Phisherman

You don't say where you are located and your $1,000 will not cover this, but I just received an advertisement from a fellow in Bodega Bay, California who is wanting to sell his entire shop for $3500. He has two lathes (one a Nova) several Nova chucks, turning tools, bandsaw, grinder, dust collector system, compressor, many calipers and a heavy duty drill press all for the $3,500. Sounds lika a good buy for someone wanting to get into turning. If you're interested, e-mail me and I'll send you his contact information.

Fred Holder

Reply to
Fred Holder

In that case, the Nova wins. As you can keep extending the length. I've see a 5 ft bed on a Nova 3000 (basicly the earlier version of the one you are considering)

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Extension beds are available for the Jet. I don't know if you can add multiples theough :-)

$493.12 "BE-57L, Full 57"" Bed Extension with Leg ---->>

Reply to
Stephen M

ALL

Thanks much for the advice ... Hope you dont mind a few more questions / bits of info

INFO

  • I did a good bit of turning back in the late 70-mid 80's ... so I am not a complete newbie ... but am just looking for what technology changes have occured that I can take advantage of ... now that I have a larger budget

  • I tried craigslist (use it all the time here in Colorado Springs) ... most of the stuff were shopsmith (which I tend to avoid) ... there was one really old (1950ish) Powermatic that looked in sad shape ... I even tried the want adds ... which had none for sale

  • Now that I am making enough to purchase decent quality tools ... I tend to purchase new (which isnt always better) ... but if used isnt available I have to resort to new

QUESTIONS:

  • Why should I consider the Nova (
    over the Jet (
    ?

  • With regard to "As mentioned, 90 is plenty. Anything else complicates things." can you elaborate on this? ... as it seems all units now have 360 ...

COMMENTS:

Kevin (my name as well) ... thanks for the 'kick the tires' primer on lathes ... it is always good to know what to look for when buying used

Ecnerwal - I live 1 block from a Harbor Freight ... and I use it often ... but never for power tools from past experiences with Chicago Machinery ... they just dont last ... wore out the bearings and fittings on my variable speed drill press ... replaced it with a Delta Industrial ... Wore out the slide mechanism on my 10 inch sliding chop saw ... replaced it with a Delta 12 inch ... I wont even mention 18V cordless drills

Darrell - thanks much for the primer and sharpening tips ... I used to do my own sharpening ... but have lost the skills ... hopefully this will help bring them back I was going to pull out the 3 grades of Smiths stones I use for all my blades :)

Reply to
dicecollector

That sounds like a very good deal for someone starting out, especially for name-brand (non China) machines.

Reply to
Phisherman

You've gotten tons of advice, just one more thing.

Leave enuf money in your budget to get a good scroll chuck. They ought to sell lathes with those in place, they are so handy. I turned for two year using faceplates and glue blocks, and when I finally got a chuck, the light went on.

BTW, I'm using a Jet 1442 with the reeve's drive, and have made a LOT of shavings with it. I'm happy with it, but will buy another one when I win the lottery.

Old Guy

Reply to
Old Guy

Sorry for the delay ... was delayed by an emergency at work

No Way, Ecnerwal & Nailshooter41 - Thank you ... you have set my mind at ease with regards to the bed extension for the Nova

Fred - Sorry I was not clear ... earlier I said I was in Colorado Springs ... yes that does sound like a bargain

Mac - Thanks for the advice about the turners meeting ...

Any thoughts about the

Jet 1642EVS-2

or the

Jet 1642EVS

dicecollector

Nova DVR-XP. When I hit a deal on the Nova I went that way

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

[...snip...] Fine Woodworking May/June 2007 had a review of lathes. The author liked the Jet you have been considering, but picked the Nova 1624 as best value. The award went to a Powermatic at $3200, probably out of your price range.

He recommends adding ballast to stabilize the Nova.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

Thank you all for the helpful and friendly advice

I thought it would be best to actually do some work on the machines ... so I went to Woodcraft ... of course ...

Didnt get to work with the Nova ... but the Powermatic with the DC motor they have ... according to Woodcraft ... performs like the DVR ... but is MUCH more stable ... and has a longer bet

So I tested the JET EVS and decided to go with this ... as I really like the variable speed all the way down to 0

I just made the purchase ... now 2 weeks to wait for pickup at Woodcraft

again to everyone

Reply to
dicecollector