Looking for a replacement base for my Sears circular saw (purchased in 1970)

My trusty Sears 7" circular saw (called an electric handsaw when I bought it) fell off a high place and put a very bad bend in the base. All my fault. Sears doesn't carry that part anymore and I can't find anything on eBay or a google search. Does anyone know a source for these things or at least a place to start hunting or am I out the money for a new circular saw? If it of any interest, the Sears model number is 315.27782.
TIA
Dick Snyder
Mon, Dec 17, 2007, 12:35pm snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (DickSnyder) doth wonder: My trusty Sears 7" circular saw (called an electric handsaw when I bought it) fell off a high place and put a very bad bend in the base. <snip>
I'd have no qualms whatsoever about removing the base, beating it flat, and putting it back on.
(Dick Snyder) doth wonder: My trusty Sears 7" circular saw (called an electric handsaw when I bought it) fell off a high place and put a very bad bend in the base. <snip>
I'd have no qualms whatsoever about removing the base, beating it flat, and putting it back on.
It's worth a shot. If I can't get it flat enough so that the width at front and rear aren't the same due to crinkled metal, I can go a different path.
Mon, Dec 17, 2007, 5:32pm snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (DickSnyder) doth sayeth: It's worth a shot. If I can't get it flat enough so that the width at front and rear aren't the same due to crinkled metal, I can go a different path.
I'd think width wouldn't be a problem, long as it runs flat. But you could always put a plywood base on it.

We need to talk about your unhealthy attachment to a Sears 7" circular saw...

Learn something everyday. I never heard the circular saw called an electric hand saw before. Makes sense.
Dick.... buddy.... come on....
If you have had that thing 30 years and it has given satisfactory service, you should be giving it a Viking's funeral. Take it from me, a great deal of those less expensive, medium quality tools just aren't worth fixing.
I used those saws in the 70s when framing houses. I used to go to the pawn shops and buy them for $20 - $25 a piece and run them to death. They were perfect saws for my knotheads, and I sure didn't want them using my Rockwells or Milwaukees.
Do yourself a favor and get a new double insulated, 15 amp saw with metal gears, roller bearings and easy to replace brushes. You will forget about that old Sears pretty damn quick after using one of the newer saws out there. Plan on spending more than we used to in the 70s though, probably in the $125 - $150 for a good saw.
There are plenty of saws out there less than $75 bucks or so, but they usually have sleeved shafts (no bearings) and are made from lousy components.
I know what it is like to have a favorite tool and get attached to it. I recently went on Ebay and found an old Milwaukee saw (exactly like I used in the early 80s) that has been discontinued for about 20 years. I bought it in a fit of sentimentality and I am glad I did. It is great, but I never take it to the job as I know there aren't any more of them, and certainly no parts other than triggers and bearings.
But honestly Dick.... time to buy.
Robert

$110 just behind their top rated Milwaukee at $150. A quick check at Home Depot, about the only place that sells Rigid, has it for $99.

While I got the CPI calculator up, here's further reference: $99 2007 dollars is equal to $18.28 1970 dollars. Get yourself the damn Rigid...
Cheers, Jeff

Hi guys,
Thanks for all your advice. This newsgroup is the best. I bought the Ridgid today at Home Depot. Additionally, I have a camp up at a lake in NH and from time to time I wished I had a powered saw up there. That will be the new home for what is left of my Craftsman.
Thanks again.
Dick
If you're going to buy a new one don't forget to consider the blade right vs left models. I used the old standard blade right for decades before buying my blade left PC 743K. I really like almost everything about this saw, especially being able to see the blade cutting the line. The only downside is that it blows more sawdust in my face than the blade right models but this is a minor price to pay for the other benefits. Art

On the contrary, I claim he will spend considerably less money now than he did in 1970. One hundred and fifty 2007 dollars is the equivalent of $27.69 1970 dollars. He probably spent more than $27.69 on his precious Sears electric hand saw...
Jeff

You might consider reusing it as an anchor. Joe
On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 12:35:42 -0500, "Dick Snyder"

Dick, I have a 315.11820 that's about that same vintage. I let the smoke out of it the other day, so I now have an opportunity to replace it with a "good" saw. I have no idea whether or not any of the parts might be interchangeable, but if you can find out if the base will work on yours, you're welcome to it.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA