Looking for a quick-release vise

I'm in need of a large quick release vise, preferably the Record style, where a lever is depressed releasing the vise (as opposed to the Jorgenson type, which requires a turn of the handle to release it).

What I really want is the largest Record, but they're out of production. DOes anyone here have experience with any of the knockoffs, like

?lGen=detail&itemID=103185&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=0&iSubCat=0&iProductID=103185Any advise appreciated --

Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Mapdude

Andrew Barss wrote in news:cidtfl$hb5$ snipped-for-privacy@oasis.ccit.arizona.edu:

I have the Garrett Wade product, and like it. The only problem I have is because I'm too lazy to Locktite the knob on the vise handle, and every once in a while, I have to dig in the shavings to find it.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

You should fix that.

_Before_ it lands on your toe. Vice handles hurt !

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I have had the Grizzly version of that knockoff for years. I find nothing to complain about, and use it in every shop appearance. Every bit as smooth as an old Record. The quick release works flawlessly.

However, import values being what they are, what you get today could be totally different.

> Any advise appreciated --

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

Just out of curiosity, what is the reason behind you preferring the lever type over the handle-release type?

Woodcraft also sells the Groz vise seen in the garretwade link below.

- Daniel

Daniel

"patriarch snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcastDOTnet"

In a fit of laziness, I had the can of PlasticDip in my hand, I tried dipping the nut and a portion of my vise handle in it. I like the result. And it does keep the nut on.

Reply to
patrick conroy

Andy Dingley wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

There are a lot of things on that list, Andy!

Reply to
patriarch

"fit-of-laziness" Just the perfect term of oxymoron I have never heard, good one. Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

Daniel wrote: : Just out of curiosity, what is the reason behind you preferring the : lever type over the handle-release type?

It seems faster --- I used to have a big Jorgenson, and found that having to turn the handle a full twist or two to release it could be a hassle if I was doing it frequently, or holding a heavy piece of wood (the latter was the more difficult situation).

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

I don't know much about them, but here's another one to consider:

Lewis

I have the 9" Gotz from Hartville Tool and like it very much. Superior to a

7" Jorgensen that is mounted on the same woodworking bench. The Gotz vise is very heavy and would have been difficult to mount if the maple worktop hadn't been removable. It is much easier to mount to a table top if the work surface is upside down.

Reply to
TEF

"TEF" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

However, mark the SIDE you want the vise on, while the table is in the final, upright position. Please don't ask me why this is important. ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Was I the only one thinking of a sarcastic rejoinder to a "quick release vis(c)e"?

Reply to
patrick conroy

I have the large Record, purchased 4-5 years ago, and really like it. The maximum opening comes in handy even for planing short pieces (against a bench dog) across the end of my bench. Perhaps you could find one used on Ebay, like this:

that one looks to have some rust and will need a good cleaning. If I had to choose one of the ones you linked to, it'd be the Garrett Wade. I'd really rather see what I was getting, as I've seen some pretty awful furin (sound it out) made vices... BTW, I buried the fixed jaw BEHIND the apron around my bench, making it easy to hold a board flush to the apron all the way across. Just a small added convenience.

Reply to
Gary DeWitt

: Woodcraft also sells the Groz vise seen in the garretwade link below.

:>

Tool sells the Groz vise, but I think (from the web pix, anyways) that the Garrett Wade one is from a different manufacturer.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Andrew Barss wrote in news:cij90a$b86$ snipped-for-privacy@oasis.ccit.arizona.edu:

The Garrett Wade product is produced in India. Groz was reported here to be a Czech product, I believe. Eastern Europe somewhere, at least.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

"patriarch snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcastDOTnet" Andrew Barss wrote in

Hi -

Sorry - I beleive Groz is Indian too...

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Robin Lee

I just have to ask: Is that the list of things that might hurt your toe? (sounds dangerous) or the list of things ta do?

*_-

/ts

Reply to
Unnh

Unnh wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It's the 'you should fix that' list. The ta do list fills 4 pages in the notebook, just for the exterior of the house and the garden.

There's a downside to being handy...

Patriarch, thinking of Red Green...

Reply to
patriarch