Looking for a quick-release vise

I'm in need of a large quick release vise, preferably the Record style, where a lever is depressed releasing the vise (as opposed to the Jorgenson type, which requires a turn of the handle to release it).
What I really want is the largest Record, but they're out of production. DOes anyone here have experience with any of the knockoffs, like
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM €1-801
and
http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?lGen ήtail&itemID3185&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=0&iSubCat=0&iProductID3185
Any advise appreciated --
    Andy Barss
Add pictures here
βœ–
Have you looked around on eBay?
Andrew Barss wrote:

http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?lGen ήtail&itemID3185&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=0&iSubCat=0&iProductID3185
Add pictures here
βœ–
<Snip>

I have the Garrett Wade product, and like it. The only problem I have is because I'm too lazy to Locktite the knob on the vise handle, and every once in a while, I have to dig in the shavings to find it.
Patriarch
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 06:39:55 GMT, patriarch

You should fix that.
_Before_ it lands on your toe. Vice handles hurt !
--
Smert' spamionam

Add pictures here
βœ–

There are a lot of things on that list, Andy!
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:24:13 GMT, patriarch
> wrote: >> >>>I have the Garrett Wade product, and like it. The only problem I have >>>is because I'm too lazy to Locktite the knob on the vise handle, and >>>every once in a while, I have to dig in the shavings to find it. >> >> You should fix that. >> >> _Before_ it lands on your toe. Vice handles hurt ! >> > >There are a lot of things on that list, Andy!
I just have to ask: Is that the list of things that might hurt your toe? (sounds dangerous) or the list of things ta do?
*_-
/ts
Add pictures here
βœ–

It's the 'you should fix that' list. The ta do list fills 4 pages in the notebook, just for the exterior of the house and the garden.
There's a downside to being handy...
Patriarch, thinking of Red Green...
Add pictures here
βœ–

In a fit of laziness, I had the can of PlasticDip in my hand, I tried dipping the nut and a portion of my vise handle in it. I like the result. And it does keep the nut on.
Add pictures here
βœ–
"fit-of-laziness" Just the perfect term of oxymoron I have never heard, good one. Alex
Add pictures here
βœ–

Was I the only one thinking of a sarcastic rejoinder to a "quick release vis(c)e"?
Add pictures here
βœ–
I have had the Grizzly version of that knockoff for years. I find nothing to complain about, and use it in every shop appearance. Every bit as smooth as an old Record. The quick release works flawlessly.
However, import values being what they are, what you get today could be totally different.

CT&iMainCat=0&iSubCat=0&iProductID3185
Add pictures here
βœ–
Just out of curiosity, what is the reason behind you preferring the lever type over the handle-release type?
Woodcraft also sells the Groz vise seen in the garretwade link below.
- Daniel

http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?lGen ήtail&itemID3185&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=0&iSubCat=0&iProductID3185
Add pictures here
βœ–
: Just out of curiosity, what is the reason behind you preferring the : lever type over the handle-release type?
It seems faster --- I used to have a big Jorgenson, and found that having to turn the handle a full twist or two to release it could be a hassle if I was doing it frequently, or holding a heavy piece of wood (the latter was the more difficult situation).
    -- Andy Barss
Add pictures here
βœ–
: Woodcraft also sells the Groz vise seen in the garretwade link below.
:> http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?lGen ήtail&itemID3185&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=0&iSubCat=0&iProductID3185
Hartville Tool sells the Groz vise, but I think (from the web pix, anyways) that the Garrett Wade one is from a different manufacturer.
    -- Andy Barss
Add pictures here
βœ–

The Garrett Wade product is produced in India. Groz was reported here to be a Czech product, I believe. Eastern Europe somewhere, at least.
Patriarch
Add pictures here
βœ–
"patriarch snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcastDOTnet>" <<patriarch> wrote in message wrote:

Hi -
Sorry - I beleive Groz is Indian too...
Cheers -
Rob
Add pictures here
βœ–
I don't know much about them, but here's another one to consider: http://www.hartvilletool.com/product.php?search_id ”709 Lewis
Add pictures here
βœ–
I have the 9" Gotz from Hartville Tool and like it very much. Superior to a 7" Jorgensen that is mounted on the same woodworking bench. The Gotz vise is very heavy and would have been difficult to mount if the maple worktop hadn't been removable. It is much easier to mount to a table top if the work surface is upside down.

Add pictures here
βœ–

However, mark the SIDE you want the vise on, while the table is in the final, upright position. Please don't ask me why this is important. ;-)
Patriarch
Add pictures here
βœ–

I have the large Record, purchased 4-5 years ago, and really like it. The maximum opening comes in handy even for planing short pieces (against a bench dog) across the end of my bench. Perhaps you could find one used on Ebay, like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryA23&itema17953120&rd=1 altho that one looks to have some rust and will need a good cleaning. If I had to choose one of the ones you linked to, it'd be the Garrett Wade. I'd really rather see what I was getting, as I've seen some pretty awful furin (sound it out) made vices... BTW, I buried the fixed jaw BEHIND the apron around my bench, making it easy to hold a board flush to the apron all the way across. Just a small added convenience.
Add pictures here
βœ–