looking for a plywood/lumber hauling trailer

I have an SUV, but no pickup, and I'm doing enough home renovations that I'm considering getting a trailer to tow behind it, for plywood, lumber, and such. Anyone have recommendations for something that (a) won't break the bank, but (b) will reliably haul 4x8 ply?

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Andrew Barss wrote in news:iakgut$as3$ snipped-for-privacy@onion.ccit.arizona.edu:

If I was looking for a trailer, I'd want a covered one. Easier to protect stuff from the wind (from driving 65mph) and the rain. They seem to run around $2,000 for a basic one around here. A flat trailer big enough for plywood runs around $700-$1200.

If you're only going to use it for a short time, is rental or delivery a better option? You've not only got to purchase the trailer, but register it as well.

FWIW, a Dodge Grand Caravan and many other mini vans with removable or folding seats will haul 4x8 sheets just fine. Not sure about your SUV... you may get lucky.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

get on craigs list and find you an old pickup bed trailer. They are priceless as far as i'm concerned. And if you decide to haul a load of fire wood, then it'll do that too.

Reply to
Steve Barker

If you are doing home "renovations" on a continuous basis on other peoples homes, you should consider the trailer. If you are doing home renovations on your own home and not as a continuous ordeal, rent a truck.

Reply to
Leon

Rental isn't a bad idea unless you think you will have the trailer a long time and use it often. I used to rent the largest U Haul rental (about 5' x 12' as I recall). You can haul a lot of stuff in one of those and rental is in the $30-40/ weekend range. I now have a PJ 16' wide bed dovetail and love it. It might be overkill for you, but it has moved a lot of our stuff to our new location; and has been invaluable during construction and completion of our new house. Cost was in the $2,000 range.

RonB

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Andy,

I have a "Folding Trailer Kit" I picked up a local department store for around $200. You just need to bolt everything together, add your own plywood floor, and wire in the lights. You can then add simple 2x4 stakes on the sides, or build sides and/or top as extravagant as you wish. I didn't need the folding feature, so I just bolted mine up solid.

I've been pulling mine with a 1976 VW Rabbit for over 20 years with no problems. I've hauled plywood, sheetrock, lumber, misc building supplies, woodstove and appliances, loads of garbage to the dump, barkdust for the yard, and more. I can tow about 1000 pounds with ease, while still having the space for my family and groceries in the car, and get 25mpg while doing it. Only costs about $20/yr to license (WA State), and is covered by my regular car insurance at no additional cost.

One of the best purchases I've ever made.

I think "Northern Hydraulics" carries similar trailers if you can't find them locally.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

In Ontario it's $25 lifetime and the car insurance covers it.

Reply to
clare

Harbor Fright has those, $299 right now. If you've got a 20 percent off coupon it's 240.

Reply to
J. Clarke

------------------------------ If you are dealing with a decent lumber yard and buying in quantity, should be able to have lumber yard make deliveries for you.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

If you use plywood, the plywood should be hardwood marine plywood.

http://www.Towood.com/

Thanks -- sounds just the ticket.

-- Andy

HerHusband wrote: : Andy,

[...]

I'm considering

I bought one at K-mart for many years ago. I built sides out of

2x4's and plywood so I can haul dirt and gravel. The box is only about 3 1/2 feet by 4, so I built an "outrigger" to haul sheet goods.Two 2x4's mounted to the tailgate on an angle, and one across the top, supported by chains so the top 2x4 is the same height as the top of the box, and about 3 feet behind it. Looks kinda goofy, but it works.
Reply to
Pistol_Pete

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

I seem to remember once seeing a plywood carrier that hangs off the side of a car. Don't know if they're still available or even how much safety can be attributed to them, but it sounds like a convenient viable option for carrying home a 1/2 dozen sheets of ply.

Reply to
Upscale

At 25 lbs per 1/4 inch of 4X8 ply, 6 sheets of 1/2 inch is 300 lbs. I would not hang that on the side of a car - not to mention it is illegal to block the vision out the front side window.

I've seen carriers for hauling ladders - and even 2X4s on the side of a car in the late sixties - but I'd not put one on any modern car I cared about.

Same goes for the roof rack. MOST car roof racks are rated at about

80 lbs., with 165 lbs being just about the highest limit on any automotive application (like an SUV)

That's not much plywood, and even less drywall

Reply to
clare

Can't comment on the illegality of such a setup, , just that I seem to remember seeing one in operation. ~ something along the lines of similar carriers being used to haul sheets of glass. A few sheets of ply a few inches south of most front side windows should still leave all or most of those sheets adjacent to the side of most cars. I can envision a jury rigged setup utilizing a hanger off the front side window, the rear side window and hooked into a rear trunk/hatch might be possible. Of course safety is paramount with a safe reasonably slow trip home being most prudent.

- Just trying to envison a possible setup that doesn't include the cost of a trailer, trailer hitch and wiring harness for brake and turn signal lights. Expense for a trailer necessarily includes costs for several additional accessories.

Reply to
Upscale

Off topic but I believe some will find it interesting: My grandfather was a paperhanger and lived in a very urban South Philadelphia neighborhood. He never owned a car or truck of his own. Mostly worked right in his own neighborhood. I do remember though, that sometimes he and his partner would take a bus or trolley (As they called streetcars in Philly) to a job. They would take a ladder by holding it outside the bus through the windows, one sitting several rows back from the other. One would get on the bus, the other would hand him one end of the ladder, then get on the bus himself. The first would lift up the ladder from his end so the partner could grab the other end. These were wooden ladders too, aluminum was not common yet. People just don't work that way an more. (And it's a good thing they don't, many would say!)

Reply to
Larry W

"Upscale" wrote in news:Pp3Ao.5405$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe01.iad:

*snip*

Even a decent pick up truck set up includes a variety of accessories. ;-) Sometimes we might even need the light... Or a red flag. Depends on your state/province laws regarding material extending off the bed.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

A decent pickup truck has a bed that will take a sheet of plywood lying flat with the gate closed.

Reply to
J. Clarke

A utility trailer will outlast many, many tow vehicles. So many that the long-term cost will be negligible. Plus, you'll still have it to pass on to the grandkids. If the OP's SUV has a step bumper or a hitch receiver, the cost of a hitch is only a few bucks, and the wiring can be easily done yourself for the price of a connector.

I use mine all the time. Pick up a major sppliance and take the old one to the dump -- saves the delivery charge, plus I do it when it's convenient for me. Pick up free firewood after a wind storm -- save money. I even take it hunting in case I ever get a deer (Could happen!)

I'd be lost without mine.

Reply to
Pistol_Pete