looking for a plywood/lumber hauling trailer

Page 1 of 2
I have an SUV, but no pickup, and I'm doing enough home renovations that I'm considering getting a trailer to tow behind it, for plywood, lumber, and such. Anyone have recommendations for something that (a) won't break the bank, but (b) will reliably haul 4x8 ply?
-- Andy Barss
Add pictures here
✖

If I was looking for a trailer, I'd want a covered one. Easier to protect stuff from the wind (from driving 65mph) and the rain. They seem to run around $2,000 for a basic one around here. A flat trailer big enough for plywood runs around $700-$1200.
If you're only going to use it for a short time, is rental or delivery a better option? You've not only got to purchase the trailer, but register it as well.
FWIW, a Dodge Grand Caravan and many other mini vans with removable or folding seats will haul 4x8 sheets just fine. Not sure about your SUV... you may get lucky.
Puckdropper

✖
On Oct 31, 4:32 pm, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

long time and use it often. I used to rent the largest U Haul rental (about 5' x 12' as I recall). You can haul a lot of stuff in one of those and rental is in the $30-40/ weekend range. I now have a PJ 16' wide bed dovetail and love it. It might be overkill for you, but it has moved a lot of our stuff to our new location; and has been invaluable during construction and completion of our new house. Cost was in the $2,000 range.
RonB
RonB
Add pictures here
✖
On 10/31/2010 2:44 PM, Andrew Barss wrote:

get on craigs list and find you an old pickup bed trailer. They are priceless as far as i'm concerned. And if you decide to haul a load of fire wood, then it'll do that too.
--
Steve Barker
✖

If you are doing home "renovations" on a continuous basis on other peoples homes, you should consider the trailer. If you are doing home renovations on your own home and not as a continuous ordeal, rent a truck.
Add pictures here
✖
Andy,

I have a "Folding Trailer Kit" I picked up a local department store for around $200. You just need to bolt everything together, add your own plywood floor, and wire in the lights. You can then add simple 2x4 stakes on the sides, or build sides and/or top as extravagant as you wish. I didn't need the folding feature, so I just bolted mine up solid.
I've been pulling mine with a 1976 VW Rabbit for over 20 years with no problems. I've hauled plywood, sheetrock, lumber, misc building supplies, woodstove and appliances, loads of garbage to the dump, barkdust for the yard, and more. I can tow about 1000 pounds with ease, while still having the space for my family and groceries in the car, and get 25mpg while doing it. Only costs about $20/yr to license (WA State), and is covered by my regular car insurance at no additional cost.
One of the best purchases I've ever made.
I think "Northern Hydraulics" carries similar trailers if you can't find them locally.
Anthony
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 18:56:31 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband

Add pictures here
✖
HerHusband wrote:

If you are dealing with a decent lumber yard and buying in quantity, should be able to have lumber yard make deliveries for you.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@unknown.com says...

Harbor Fright has those, $299 right now. If you've got a 20 percent off coupon it's 240.

Add pictures here
✖
Thanks -- sounds just the ticket.
-- Andy
: Andy,
:> I have an SUV, but no pickup, and I'm doing enough home renovations :> that I'm considering getting a trailer to tow behind it, for plywood, :> lumber, and such. Anyone have recommendations for something that (a) :> won't break the bank, but (b) will reliably haul 4x8 ply? : I have a "Folding Trailer Kit" I picked up a local department store for : around $200. You just need to bolt everything together, add your own : plywood floor, and wire in the lights. You can then add simple 2x4 stakes : on the sides, or build sides and/or top as extravagant as you wish. I : didn't need the folding feature, so I just bolted mine up solid.
: I've been pulling mine with a 1976 VW Rabbit for over 20 years with no : problems. I've hauled plywood, sheetrock, lumber, misc building supplies, : woodstove and appliances, loads of garbage to the dump, barkdust for the : yard, and more. I can tow about 1000 pounds with ease, while still having : the space for my family and groceries in the car, and get 25mpg while doing : it. Only costs about $20/yr to license (WA State), and is covered by my : regular car insurance at no additional cost.
: One of the best purchases I've ever made.
: I think "Northern Hydraulics" carries similar trailers if you can't find : them locally.
: Anthony
--
Andy Barss
✖
If you use plywood, the plywood should be hardwood marine plywood.
---
Add pictures here
✖

I bought one at K-mart for many years ago. I built sides out of 2x4's and plywood so I can haul dirt and gravel. The box is only about 3 1/2 feet by 4, so I built an "outrigger" to haul sheet goods.Two 2x4's mounted to the tailgate on an angle, and one across the top, supported by chains so the top 2x4 is the same height as the top of the box, and about 3 feet behind it. Looks kinda goofy, but it works.
Add pictures here
✖
On 10/31/2010 12:44 PM, Andrew Barss wrote:

<http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/trailer-trailer-accessories.html>
Add pictures here
✖
I seem to remember once seeing a plywood carrier that hangs off the side of a car. Don't know if they're still available or even how much safety can be attributed to them, but it sounds like a convenient viable option for carrying home a 1/2 dozen sheets of ply.
Add pictures here
✖

I would not hang that on the side of a car - not to mention it is illegal to block the vision out the front side window.
I've seen carriers for hauling ladders - and even 2X4s on the side of a car in the late sixties - but I'd not put one on any modern car I cared about.
Same goes for the roof rack. MOST car roof racks are rated at about 80 lbs., with 165 lbs being just about the highest limit on any automotive application (like an SUV)
That's not much plywood, and even less drywall
Add pictures here
✖

Can't comment on the illegality of such a setup, <G:>, just that I seem to remember seeing one in operation. ~ something along the lines of similar carriers being used to haul sheets of glass. A few sheets of ply a few inches south of most front side windows should still leave all or most of those sheets adjacent to the side of most cars. I can envision a jury rigged setup utilizing a hanger off the front side window, the rear side window and hooked into a rear trunk/hatch might be possible. Of course safety is paramount with a safe reasonably slow trip home being most prudent.
- Just trying to envison a possible setup that doesn't include the cost of a trailer, trailer hitch and wiring harness for brake and turn signal lights. Expense for a trailer necessarily includes costs for several additional accessories.
Add pictures here
✖
*snip*

Even a decent pick up truck set up includes a variety of accessories. ;-) Sometimes we might even need the light... Or a red flag. Depends on your state/province laws regarding material extending off the bed.
Puckdropper

✖
Puckdropper says...

A decent pickup truck has a bed that will take a sheet of plywood lying flat with the gate closed.
Add pictures here
✖

Yabbut who wants to buy a Ford F250 Superduty diesel just to haul plywood?
Max (owner of one)
Add pictures here
✖
You guys would be amazed and frightened the amount of wood I've had strapped to the roof of my old minivan. :-)
--

-MIKE-

✖