looking for a nice table saw

My table saw recently went to the tool playground and I am looking for a new one. Any thoughts or suggestions. I dont want to spend more than a grand but somewere between $500 and a $1000. I was looking at the dewalt 746. Is this a good saw? I looked at the one with the sliding table. That whole package was over $1000.00 but I could always add on.

Reply to
roger garber

A lot of people own and like this saw but it is a Hybrid and finding "other brand" accessories for it will almost be impossible. You will most likely only have 1 source for parts or accessories, that being DeWalt. For the same reason I would steer away from the Jet Supersaw.

I would advise a standard contractors saw, or if you have 220 available you can still get a Grizzly cabinet saw in that price range.

This saw delivers a lot of bang for your buck.

Reply to
Leon

Grizzly. I have a G1023SL and I love it but there are plenty under $1000 and you may have other preferences. Contact Grizzly and they'll tell you who has one in your area and willing to show it to you.

TWS

Reply to
TWS

I am also going to upgrade and would like to keep it around $1K+-.

If you read all the threads posted here about TS in this price range, it is difficult to beat the Grizzly 1023.

As an alternate, check out the new Sears Craftsman with the Biesmeyer fence. It lists for $950, but some here grabbed it for under $700 with sale/coupons etc.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Check the want ads. Good used tools show up from time to time. I'm the second owner of a jointer, planer, bandsaw and drill press. The person selling these items also had a nice contractor saw for sale but I passed since I don't have the space for two of them.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I have that saw and moved the rails to the right about 8" so I have more rip capacity. Being a left tilt saw, I saw no reason to have the fence on the left side of the blade. In doing this retro, it made room for a router table - It's a nice unit and I've been very happy with it.

Don

Reply to
D. J. Dorn

Well there is a reason to use the fence to the opposite side. There may be times that you need to cut into an asymmetrical piece. Basically the piece may have a top, right, and left side and the bevel cut needs to be into the right side. I run into this "occasionally".

Reply to
Leon

in that price range you should be looking at taiwanese made contractor's saws.

make sure it has cast iron wings, a base that doesn't wobble and a fence that locks down solidly.

Reply to
bridger

Dear Roger, You might want to take a look at the new Craftsman Professional

922124 with the Beismeyer fence. Wait for the Craftsman club discount and /or a sale price.........I got both! You should be able to pick up this fine saw for less than $800. Search on the rec here for many testimonials as to the worthiness of the new Sears saw. I've been real happy with mine! Michael
Reply to
mrmortise

I obtained a similar double-discount when" Craftsman days" and "Sears credit card holders" days overlapped. You can also bring in a Craftsman 2004-2005 catalog that lists the machine at $850 instead of the current $950 (due to the increased cost of iron, etc.) and Sears may honor the catalog $850 price and apply the discounts to that. This worked for me. Surprisingly, Sears is very good about letting you combine offers and coupons.

For the discounted price, I am very happy with the Craftsman Pro 22124. The Biesemeyer fence is worth the upgrade from the mid-range Craftsman to the higher end model, in my opinion. It is not too different from using a unisaw (what I am most familar with) except it has slightly more vibration and less power. I just ripped a large amount of 8/4 and

12/4 oak and I only had to back off the feed rate when I pushed the 12/4 stuff. That said, if I had 220volts in my shop, I think I would have purchased the Grizzly 1023SL for the extra 1.25 HP and lower vibration (beefier trunions and triple-belt system).

Lars

Reply to
Lars Stole

I bought mine on sale plus the craftsman club discount. My TOTAL cost Including Sales Tax and an additional Two Year Extended Warranty Contract came to $870 (Shipping/Delivery was Free -- but I pushed for that.)

So ... the "before the other stuff" was added on, the base sales price was in the low-to-mid 700 dollar range.

When the delivery guy was barely willing to move the saw from the curb to the garage -- and not at all willing to (help) put the saw on my back patio, I made some Polite inquiries to Sears... they wound up sending two managers to my home to put the saw in its final resting place. (Wow! THAT was SERVICE!)

Not only am I totally satisfied with Sears, I'm ecstatic about the saw itself. It was out-of-the-box(es) dead on and pretty darned easy to assemble. It's a dream machine.

Steve

is the Mother of Invention

Reply to
Putzger