Looking for a motor source

I've posted a couple times recently about the death of my jointer motor. The jointer is a nice Jet 6 inch built in the 70s. I think I paid about $150 for it and use it about a half dozen times a year. Watching CL for a comparable replacement, but also looking for a source for 3/4 hp replacement motor. Jet was $236 for theirs plus shipping.

So ... any recommended sources for a rebuilt motor?

TIA

Larry

Reply to
TD

Yellow Pages?

Reply to
Leon

------------------------ Anything less than 10-15HP is considered a throw away.

Costs more to rewind that a new one.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

In what way is it dead ??? May be a simple problem ... How does it act when you apply power ???

Reply to
"<<<

Bob, please turn off the HTML posting in your newsreader.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

I finally found where to turn "OFF" HTML in Thunderbird, and did so ... just out of curiosity, what is the difference ??? Obviously, it must be something annoying to others ... what does it do??? For some reason Thunderbird sets it to "ON" by default, and I just rebuilt this computer, reinstalling everything, so it got set that way upon installation.

Reply to
"<<<

Sure sounds like you would qualify for a replacement ... check out Tractor Supply and Northern Tool for replacements. You won't find a great deal there on a Baldor, but you might find a Marathon or other slightly lesser quality motor for a fair price.

Reply to
"<<<

Someone mentioned Yellow Pages and, on your previous post, someone mentioned taking it to a shop to be evaluated. My local electircal supply company, which has a department for repairing motors, will, for free, evaluate any motor and give quotes for repair or replacement. Shop around for such a company/shop.

Assuming you've done the troubleshooting, as recommended on the previous thread, check Marathon or Baldor motors, on Amazon, for comparable replacement motors. I bought a new Unisaw motor at a much cheaper price, via Amazon, than what Delta, my local shop & Gainger (also local) wanted.

I think, if you email the specs of your motor to Baldor, they will match the correct replacement motor.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Doug Winterburn

Hello Larry,

New industrial / Farm duty (continues duty) motors can be found at farm supply stores. My local one is called Track Supply (used to be Farm Fleet?).

Also, check with your local motor repair places. I had a 2 HP Leeson that was flaky. They only charged a $20.00 bench fee to see if they could fix it.

$236 is probably a good price for an OEM motor. $150.00 for a used Jet sounds like a very good deal to me. It may qualify for a you suck.

Also, check OWWM.org for Bring Out Your Dead, BOYD forum. Ask if any one in your area is selling a motor.

Mike > I've posted a couple times recently about the death of my jointer motor.

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

It messes with the way our newsreaders are set up, or alternatively, we see nothing but a bunch of HTML tags. Neither is good if your intent is to communicate.

Reply to
krw

Couple of places to get pricing:

have ordered from Surplus Center (valves, not motors).

John

Reply to
news

Kimosabe

I'm sure they will but the price will be as high as what Jet wants.

Reply to
CW

Kimosabe

A motor that hums on startup is a classic sign of a bad start capacitor. See if it runs when you give it a spin. A new capacitor is about $10.

Reply to
Nova

If it was totally kaput, I don't think it should hum or do anything else.

Reply to
HeyBub

Reply to
Pat Barber