Looking for a Motor

Surpluscenter.com has a large selection of motors from fractional horsepower to 100+ hp at fairly reasonable prices. regards, Joe.
Where can I find replacement motors?
Grainger dot com

Consider taking the motor to a shop and having it rebuilt. While rebuilding is normally reserved for the more expensive motors, it might make sense for a "antique" motor as well. In fact, it's usually easier to rebuild an old timer than the new stuff.
--
Nonny

What does it mean when drool runs
Nonny wrote:

Something I neglected to mention--it's _always_ worth checking Sears parts ordering.
Nonny wrote:

With the typical size drill press motor and the inexpensive replacement cost I'd tend to think the OP would have a very difficult time finding a motor repair shop willing to do the work. I've found the motor shops in my area unwilling to repair anything under 2HP.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Casper said:

I'd check the contactors and cap, if present, before condemning the motor as dysfunctional. Also wiring, power switch, etc. Never jump to conclusions that will needlessly cost you money. Motor windings are pretty durable unless overloaded or immersed. Bearings, capacitors, and mechanical switches not so much.
Greg G.
As it turns out, the motor works fine. The motor just had some loose wiring and needed a bit of cleaning from sitting so long. My friend also apparently didn't know the wall outlet was never really hooked up, wires just sitting in there capped. Once we got all that done, the drill press ran fine. Now he wants to build a clamp and a couple of jigs but has no saw so it's going to be fun.
I'm now poking around myself looking for a second hand motor that I can set up to do some sanding and maybe grinding. Btw .. doesn't appear to be any repair shops around here anymore. At least not within 50 miles. Don't know about you but I'm growing tired of the disposable world.
Thanks! `Casper