Looking for a Motor

Page 1 of 2
A friend acquired an old Craftsman (1940's) drill press but it appears the motor may be shot. Where can I find replacement motors? I'd even like to get one or two to use as a buffer, sander or grinder. I'd prefer not to buy a preset grinder only to remove the wheels and all. I've done some google searching but so far everything is too big. `Casper

Yellow pages, electric motors.
Leon wrote:

If an electric motor repair shop can't fix it for a reasonable price, then I'd try Harbor Fright, Grizzly, McMaster, and Grainger.
If that fails, go to http://www.baldor.com and find the model you need then check "where to buy" for a distributer.
Warning--you can probably get a new drill press for the price of a Baldor motor.
J. Clarke wrote:

The smoke in the motor on my Delta BOSS oscillating spindle sander just escaped so I'm looking for a replacement myself. The replacement motor(discontinued)on Delta's service website, a 1/4HP single phase, retails for US$195 ... the BOSS has a retail price of $279 (for anyone wanting to take the chance on a 21st century Delta product), so I'm in a quandry ... what to do?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

little feet in the air, I did a fair amount of research and ended up with a Grizzly model based mainly on price and my satisfaction with the company. Wired it up for 240 and replaced the plug. I have but a few months of sporadic use on it, but so far I am happy.
    woof,     jo4hn
Delta 14" band saw ended up with a Grizzly model based
I would appreciate knowing more about the motor you got from Grizzly (Adams? ;) as I am looking to replace the one on my Delta 14" Band Saw.
What HP did you get? I am thinking to go with a 1-1.5 HP replacement.
What Model number did you choose, please. And was it a direct bolt up fit?
Thanks
PS a reply to author would be appreciated.
Hoosierpopi wrote:

they have larger HP models of the same type. It is a NEMA 56 frame which is very common (same frame as the original motor). It is essentially a bolt up with some minor fiddling and a minimum number of bad words used.
Free advice and worth every penny but I am happy with it.     jo4hn
On 11/17/2009 5:55 PM jo4hn spake thus:

... and little cartoon Xs on its eyes?
--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.
"Swingman" wrote: ----------------------------------------

Get specs from motor: Frame size, RPM, Voltage, TEFC or DP, Split Phase or cap start, etc, then get price from local Grainger.
If replacement motor cost is 60+% of new machine, then hello new machine and donate remains to Goodwill.
Lew
Lew Hodgett said:

Problem with Delta motors is that they often are not standard frame motors, but have proprietary mounts, oddball sizes, and such.
Greg G.
Swingman said:

Man, I do NOT want to hear that. I have one also, bought when the local dealers dropped Delta during the B&D assimilation - for $125 w/the drum kit. Am generally satisfied with it, but thought that the osc mech would be the first to give it up. As for parts being discontinued, WTF, I just saw it being sold online. Those Chinese motors/switches/pot metal/bearings/etc just ain't holding up...
Greg G.

Good repairs shops can replace the smoke for about half the price of a new motor. May be worth a phone call, but a lot of small motors are disposable.
Swingman said:

Swing,
Check here, they have your motor listed for $50. http://compare.ebay.com/like/360186014753?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

$62 with shipping is worth a shot. Gotta get my paypal account replenished today and I'm going to go for it.
My BOSS, a gift from SWMBO from a garage sale a few years back, has been one of those tools that when you need it there is nothing else that will work as well, and I do a lot of curved aprons and rails, where it really shines for making the necessary jigs.
Thanks again, Greg ... that's a helluva ebay seller for Delta owners needing parts ... wonders never cease.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman said:

It IS a handy little bugger, and the induction motor is fairly quiet. Wish the top tilted, but for what it cost on closeout, I'm not complaining.
Curious what were you doing with it when it failed, so that I can avoid that scenario? Decent induction motors aren't supposed to flame-out for no reason. Was it the actual motor windings or the cap?

They probably bought all the Delta parts stock dumped by B&D. After all, you can't sell new imported red crap while people are still fixing the old blue imported crap. One of the reasons I bought Delta at all was that you could call and get a part for a 20 year old machine. Now I'm worried...
Greg G.
Swingman wrote:

Actually, it turned out more like $56 with shipping.
The motor arrived this afternoon via UPS. Brand new, General Electric, from all appearances it had been in the box a loooong time (newspaper wrapping dated June 2000).
Took a couple of hours to get that puppy up and purring, and only one trip to the hardware store (two plastic machine screws used to space a shaft in a housing disintegrated upon removal ... luckily I found the thread match in a nylon machine screw at the hardware store that will hopefully server the same purpose over the long haul)
If you could have heard the noise it made before the heart surgery, you wouldn't believe the difference. Check it out:
http://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/BOSSMotorReplacement #
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

have to take care of them when they are sick.
Ya did good papa.
Lee Michaels wrote:

Thank you!
You know, I bought $2500 worth of Festool last week, and the most important/satisfying thing I've done recently was to resurrect that $289 retail tool for $56 ... go figure.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

www.HarborFreight.com is always there. I had only a single loss of one of the Chiwanese motors, and it -wasn't- from HF. You can replace the whole sander for less than half the price of a Baldor. http://fwd4.me/4q5 for the Boss-sized grubber, or http://fwd4.me/4q2 for the larger model.
!he bonus is that all products are now made in China, so you won't be downgrading by going with something other than Delat, er, Deltuh!
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

You might try posting in the BOYD forum on OWWM.org if your looking for a vintage replacement.
Mike O.