Looking for a lathe near Indy

Superior Distributing is a major tool dealer downtown. There is a Rockler out near Castleton (you'll have to look up the addresses on the 'net), although I don't remember that Rockler had much in the way of floor tools, and certainly not lathes other than maybe one of the minis. I understand a new Woodcraft has or will open in the area. They usually have a couple of full size as well as the minis (at least the one in Casselberry {Orlando} does).

Superior is worth a visit no matter what your situation.

I'm not sure about prices, but a lot of turners I know have Jets. I think there's an older Delta in that price range, too. But then I know a lot of serious turners, and the Jet/Delta was probably four or five lathes ago for them. Don't kid yourself; you're just starting - this will not be your last lathe.

You can also frequently find old Powermatics on ebay for a reasonable price, and they are well regarded.

Craftsman.

There is an active AAW (I think that's it; American Association of Woodturners) chapter in Indy. I have a couple of friends who are involved with it. Look 'em up on the 'net and see if you can contact some locals. They'll have great advice.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Hello all, I've been lurking on this group for several months now and have a question or three. I am becoming interested in woodturning and wonder if any of the folks here could pass along some info. I'd like to find a shop where I could look over some lathes. (I've posted this also to the woodturning group in a slightly different format). There is a wood show in Indy Oct 11 I'll be going to in the hope of seeing some lathes in action. My interest right now is doing both center work as well as some bowl turning. The former would not be much more (if any) than 28"- 30" and the latter would have a max diameter of 11" to 12". I figure a 3/4 to 1 hp motor would be enough. I figure I would like to spend around $800 or so but would need to get chisels and gouges with that also. I have a chainsaw to cut up some fine looking hard maple - 4 good sized chunks around 50lbs each- as well as several other saws.

So, any thoughts on where to look in or around Indy? I am in Bloomington. Any suggestions for models in my price range? Any suggestions on what models to avoid?

Thanks for all the input.

Reply to
Kevin

try rec.crafts.woodturning

Reply to
Charlie Spitzer

"Kevin" wrote in news:blkq6k$u1f$ snipped-for-privacy@hood.uits.indiana.edu:

Hi, Shameless plug for the Indy Woodcraft store. There will be a grand opening celebration on Oct 10, 11 &12. The guys from Sorby will be there on Sat. doing lathe demos. All Jet/Delta/Powermatic power tools 15% off.

Reply to
Bruce Wiseman