Look what happened to this feller's workshop

Page 1 of 4
Man....
http://lumberjocks.com/topics/55735
Fortunately no one was hurt. The punch line is an absolutely pun though. He should have had a ____ Stop!
Edited previous version: > Man.... > http://lumberjocks.com/topics/55735 > Fortunately no one was hurt. I feel bad for the man (and think he was still a bit lucky in what didn't happen!) The punch line is an absolutely horrible pun though. He should have had a ____ Stop!

OK, I give up. What kind of a "____ Stop" should he have had, Bill?
On Friday, December 13, 2013 10:31:34 AM UTC-8, Bill wrote:

And he publicly admits to having done this? I do dumb stuff all the time bu t sure never broadcast it unless I think it might save someone else from th e same mistake. However, this was just a mistake waiting to happen, stating a manual care while standing outside of it with the clutch depressed. Uh d uh, could be a problem pretty easily, as it finally was.
Don't you always shake the stick to be sure it is in neutral even when you have a newer car that requires the clutch to be in before the starter will engage?
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

If you want to be really dumbfounded, go look at some of the most-recent posts. Here, I'll save you some time:
“Will I start the darn thing from outside, on one foot? Honestly? Most likely. But as it’s been said numerous times before, I will ensure I smack the shifter to ensure it’s not in gear.”

On 12/13/2013 12:31 PM, Bill wrote:

I will have to say he was pretty foolish and that was simply going to happen sooner or later.
I'm confused, their practice is to leave it in gear and the last person that used it left it in gear. I wonder what part of the practice, starting the vehicle the way he does, that he did not see as being a likely problem.
I award him a trophy for participation!
Leon wrote:

I think the original post had a typo. His practice was to leave it out of gear.

Leon wrote:

How about stupidity instead?
Lew
On 12/13/2013 2:23 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

It is one in the same.
On 12/13/2013 2:08 PM, Bill wrote:

I think so too. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. Leaving it out of gear and not setting the break compounds the likelihood of an accident happening at any moment with out the motor running.
On 12/13/2013 4:49 PM, Leon wrote:

I frequently leave my car with a standard transmission out of gear in my garage. My garage is small and it is tight around the car. By leaving it out of gear, if I want in the trunk I can push the car a little ahead to make more room behind the car. If I am doing something in the front of the garage I can push it back.
If I get up in the morning and the car will not start, I push it out of the garage, jump in before it is going to fast, and as it is rolling back into the street, you can pop the clutch and start the motor.
I will let someone else explain "popping the clutch"
On 12/13/2013 5:15 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Popping the clutch, who would not know what that is. But still do you leave yur vehicle outside in neutral?
On 12/14/2013 12:23 AM, Leon wrote:

Usually not as I am not space limited out of doors. In our area when parking in most places I set the emergency brake.
I mentioned explaining "popping the clutch", as one of the joys of taking the car for service is to watch the young serviceman get in the car and have no idea of what to do with the gear shift.
On 12/14/2013 8:10 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Several years back my BIL's oldest daughter drove into the the local gas station to fill up. She left the vehicle in neutral, got out, and began filling the tank. The filler tube was behind the rear license plate. The vehicle in front of her, a large truck, backed up and hit her vehicle. This knocked her down and while she was trying to get back up was crushed between her vehicle and the one behind her. She did not survive.
Like a TS and most WW equipment you can't be too careful. The unexpected gets you.

When I was the service sales manager at the Olds dealership in down town Houston, early 80's, I was talking to the service manager at the Cadillac dealer a couple of blocks away. He was mentioning a similar problems with his porters that parked the customers vehicles. IIRC Cadillac came out with a new model, IIRC the "N" body Cimmeron. Basically an Olds Calais. Oddly Cadillac offered that vehicle with standard shift transmission. The porters could not figure that out.

If you usually leave it out of gear, wouldn't you set the parking brake? A good push is all it takes to set a vehicle rolling.
Did I set the parking brake on the tractor? I'm going to have to go and check.

I got a certificate the day I was born. I must be special. :-)
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 12/13/2013 3:52 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

In today's world, we are all special. ;~)
"Puckdropper" wrote:

Those who use emergency brakes don't live in the "Rust Belt" unless a lot of things have changed.
Spend the time to release a frozen emergency brake cable once and you will never do it again.
Trust me.
Some things you NEVER forget.
Lew
On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 17:06:40 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

Global warming?

Yup. I used to get gigged on inspections for a rusted brakes all the time. Never used the parking brake. Still don't.

On 12/13/2013 10:34 PM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Yes I will bet that is what is causing it. The earth is warming sooooo much it is snowing in the Middle east and in Jerusalem this morning. I beleive they said it was a record amount of snow for the area.
That is not counting what is happening in this country and in other areas of the world.