Look what happened to this feller's workshop

Man....

Fortunately no one was hurt. The punch line is an absolutely pun though. He should have had a ____ Stop!

Reply to
Bill

Edited previous version: > Man.... >

> Fortunately no one was hurt. I feel bad for the man (and think he was still a bit lucky in what didn't happen!) The punch line is an absolutely horrible pun though. He should have had a ____ Stop!

Reply to
Bill

And he publicly admits to having done this? I do dumb stuff all the time bu t sure never broadcast it unless I think it might save someone else from th e same mistake. However, this was just a mistake waiting to happen, stating a manual care while standing outside of it with the clutch depressed. Uh d uh, could be a problem pretty easily, as it finally was.

Don't you always shake the stick to be sure it is in neutral even when you have a newer car that requires the clutch to be in before the starter will engage?

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

OK, I give up. What kind of a "____ Stop" should he have had, Bill?

Reply to
Spalted Walt

If you want to be really dumbfounded, go look at some of the most-recent posts. Here, I'll save you some time:

?Will I start the darn thing from outside, on one foot? Honestly? Most likely. But as it?s been said numerous times before, I will ensure I smack the shifter to ensure it?s not in gear.?

Reply to
Bill

I will have to say he was pretty foolish and that was simply going to happen sooner or later.

I'm confused, their practice is to leave it in gear and the last person that used it left it in gear. I wonder what part of the practice, starting the vehicle the way he does, that he did not see as being a likely problem.

I award him a trophy for participation!

Reply to
Leon

I think the original post had a typo. His practice was to leave it out of gear.

Reply to
Bill

------------------------------ How about stupidity instead?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

As a paramedic, HE SHOULD KNOW BETTER!!!

He works on all kinds of people who do stupid things. Maybe the stupidity was contagious. He caught it from somebody.

He was very lucky. And he is getting tools replaced, etc. So it will work out in the end.

But TOTALLY STUPID!!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

no one was hurt. The punch line is an absolutely pun though. > He should h ave had a ____ Stop! As a paramedic, HE SHOULD KNOW BETTER!!! He works on a ll kinds of people who do stupid things. Maybe the stupidity was contagious . He caught it from somebody. He was very lucky. And he is getting tools re placed, etc. So it will work out in the end. But TOTALLY STUPID!!

A couple of odd things about twoblacklabs' post. His profile states he's f rom IN. I'd have expected him to have his left leg on the ground and his r ight leg on the clutch, but.... He states the truck's passenger mirror was damaged and the picture shows the left side (driver's side, here in the st ates, I thought) of his truck (damaged mirror side?). Maybe the controls A RE on the right side of the truck.

F150, built Ford tough (sic)! : )

Well, I see someone else's shop is in as much "disarray" as mine. I do wi sh him a quick recovery, though. I'd hate to have any sort of accident or damage, as that, no matter how it's caused.

Sonny

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I think so too. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. Leaving it out of gear and not setting the break compounds the likelihood of an accident happening at any moment with out the motor running.

Reply to
Leon

It is one in the same.

Reply to
Leon

I like to say that he paid the "stupid tax", and he was lucky on top of that. Suppose a child had been playing between the garage and the vehicle.

Reply to
Leon

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com:

If you usually leave it out of gear, wouldn't you set the parking brake? A good push is all it takes to set a vehicle rolling.

Did I set the parking brake on the tractor? I'm going to have to go and check.

I got a certificate the day I was born. I must be special. :-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

In today's world, we are all special. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

My vote is for "dumb stop." Actually, that would prevent most accidents, wouldn't it?

Reply to
Larry W

Man....

Fortunately no one was hurt. The punch line is an absolutely pun though. He should have had a ____ Stop!

Wonder what stopped the truck from going on through the next wall. After all it is a Ford. WW

Reply to
WW

I frequently leave my car with a standard transmission out of gear in my garage. My garage is small and it is tight around the car. By leaving it out of gear, if I want in the trunk I can push the car a little ahead to make more room behind the car. If I am doing something in the front of the garage I can push it back.

If I get up in the morning and the car will not start, I push it out of the garage, jump in before it is going to fast, and as it is rolling back into the street, you can pop the clutch and start the motor.

I will let someone else explain "popping the clutch"

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

-------------------------------------------- Those who use emergency brakes don't live in the "Rust Belt" unless a lot of things have changed.

Spend the time to release a frozen emergency brake cable once and you will never do it again.

Trust me.

Some things you NEVER forget.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The words paramedic and insurance immediately spring to mind. There appears to be a lot of damage caused by a vehicle travelling at tickover speed especially as the left foot was pushing clutch in (the vehicle 'should' not have moved). At first sight the shop looks well equipped, on further inspection I am not so sure. I was surprised to see a chair in the place, more surprised to see two. That's just me, if I want to sit down I go into the garden and there's rarely time to sit down there either. I wonder if this chap has a wife or child that is eager to learn the arts of driving. Being a rightpondian sceptic I think this is all baloney. Nick.

Reply to
Nick