Long Ranger not working? Here is a possible fix.

If you have a non-working Long Ranger, you might want to read this.
I had mine go out the other day. It has been used for about 4 years. Unfortunately I turned it on and off several times during the start cycle of the dust collector. I found that the relay (only really rated at 1hp) did not like that. It welded shut. After taking it apart, I unsealed the relay (using a dremel tool cutter) and sanded the contacts. It is working OK now, but I really don't trust it. I looked up an equivalent relay and it looks like a Tyco T90N1D12-12 is a replacement for it. The relay is only about $2 from Digikey (Digikey PB104-ND).
You will probably want to check it to see if that fixes it. If you don't, let me know. I would like to have a couple of more transmiters. I sprinkle them around the shop for easy access.
Just remember, when you turn your dust collector on. Keep it on until it reaches speed. Turning it off during startup creates an arc in the relay contacts that can weld 1/2 inch bar stock!!!
And on the subject of the Lone Ranger, I picked up a spare transmitter on sale for $5. Turns out this one's tuned to another frequency than my unit. Anyone know a way of getting the new one to my unit's "channel"?
charlie b

You can tune the receiver to the new one. just follow the instruction on it. if you don't have them I can get them for you. I had mine loose the connection a few times and had to re tune it. if I remember right you hold down the button on the receiver push the transmitter button till the receiver beeps. then remove your finger and push the transmitter button again. but it has been awhile.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
I think the instructions are on the transmitter, hold on........For the LR_3_, push a button on the side of the reciever and release quickly.You should hear a beep, and within 5 seconds, press once either the on or off button on the transmitter. You should hear a double beep from the reciever. Press either button again and a triple beep should occur, and you're done.Tom charlie b wrote:>And on the subject of the Lone Ranger, I picked up a spare

Someday, it'll all be over....
brought forth from the murky depths:

Most RF automation goodies are tuned to only 2 freqs: 1 for UK @ 418MHz and 1 for the USA/world @ 433.92MHz. PSI appears to be different (A - C freqs) You'll probably have to call them to find out.
--
Impeach 'em ALL!
You can't start a DC very long with a $2 relay. If you got a real starting relay and let the remote control its coil, it would last a long time. Wilson

The problem that welded the contacts on your relay isn't the relay, but a capacitor that is soldered across the contacts in the circuit. Like in older cars, the points (like relay contacts) always had a condenser (also like a capacitor) connected across them to keep them from arcing.
It could be that turning on/off the switch quickly, charged the capacitor before it could discharge through the motor while running the sudden surge again could not be absorbed by an already charged capacitor, so the contacts arced.
For this very reason, that is why I don't use a Long Ranger. My tools are setup so that everytime a tool goes on, the DC goes on without the need of pressing a remote button or leaving the DC on while there is no dust to collect. And about 5 seconds after the tool is shut off the DC turns off by itself. No extra wiring.