long ranger III broken

I have long ranger remote control for my dust collector that seems to have just bitten the dust. I was working in the shop and the dust collector just quit running. The dust collector works fine with the long ranger out of the loop and the remote control light comes on when I hit the "on" button. I tried putting in a new battery as well has hitting the reset button multiple times and it still doesn't work.

Are these things prone to failure? I've only had it for a year or so and it hasn't seen a whole lot of use. Any ideas for diagnosing the problem or am I just going to have to replace it?

thanks,

Eric

Reply to
Eric Yancey

Eric:

Probably you had a transient high current surge and it took out the line control circuitry in the plug in unit. I don't think these units can handle high currents. You might try contacting the distributor of the unit and see if they will make good for it.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

On Wed, 26 May 2004 16:43:42 -0400, "Eric Yancey" brought forth from the murky depths:

It's probably a solid-state relay, so you can't even burnish the contacts. Time to contact the manufacturer.

-- Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof. ----

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Try listening for the relay click when you use the control. If it is not transfering its contacts, the sound will not be strong, but if you hear something, it shows that the radio section is working. If the relay is the part that is defective, you can get a replacement from Digikey for about $2 or $3 plus whatever they charge for shipping and handling.

Reply to
Eric Anderson