Long hole

I want to drill long ways through a 4 x 12, then as far as I can into another. I want to then insert a piece of rebar in the hole. I estimate the hole will be 24" deep. Are there 5/8" bits this long?
Steve
"SteveB" wrote:

------------------------------------------ Google "ship's auger"
Lew
On 6/3/2014 2:57 PM, SteveB wrote:

I've got one of these:
http://www.greenlee.com/products/BIT%2540c-BULK-3%2540F4%2540andquot%253b-NAILEATER-66PT.html?product_id 480
and one of these:
http://www.greenlee.com/products/EXTENSION%2540c-BIT-%287%2540F16%2522-X-18%2522%29.html?product_id 381
Together they make a 36" long 3/4" bit. I've never drilled through that much solid lumber with it, but I think it would work if you back it out on occasion, and if you make really sure that the set screws on the extension are tight. You wouldn't want to leave the auger in the hole permanently. :)
On 6/3/2014 3:35 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

They make extensions in other sizes too.
Long bits are commonly available, even at HD. But after you price them, an extension and a current bit may look more attractive!

Good advice.
The speedbores from Bosch claim to do a better job of clearing out debris, that is a long way to go though.

--
pentapus

try hft. they have a few very long bits.
On 6/3/2014 2:57 PM, SteveB wrote:

Irwin (and other companies I'm sure) make augers and drill bits at lease 30 inches long. http://www.irwin.com/uploads/documents/52_2013_WoodDrilling_eBook.pdf
The challenge is drilling straight through the 4x12 and staying on center. An alternative I've used for similar jobs with smaller stock is to rip the board, route a channel, then glue it back together. It shouldn't be too tough to get the bit to come out the other end without breaking through one of the sides, but if you need it to be precisely on center it may be a problem.
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)
On 6/3/2014 3:40 PM, Larry W wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)01834236&sr=8-4&keywords=WOOD+AUGER+bit+5%2F8+24+inch

I have a 27" x 5/8" auger for making holes in gate posts. Probably more than 100 years old. Works perfectly and drills true. It is mandraulically powered. You might find something in your neck of the woods.
Nick (UK)

We had a bit and drill similar to that when I worked for Arizona Telephone Company for drilling poles. It had an arm strong engine.
Now imagine using it while supported by your climbing hooks and belt.

Then Google "small loan company". :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Yes. You can get auger point bits upto six feet long from any alarm installation distributor.
I have a bit I use on pilings and dock work. It is about a 5/8 wood bit welded onto a long shaft.... Works wonderful. I use a power driver, and pull it out continuously....... It is a ship auger bit......and helps move the debris up and out... The shaft is smaller than the actual bit so that debris has room. john
"SteveB" wrote in message
I want to drill long ways through a 4 x 12, then as far as I can into another. I want to then insert a piece of rebar in the hole. I estimate the hole will be 24" deep. Are there 5/8" bits this long?
Steve

Having done what you are going to do several times I am curious as to the size of rebar you plan to use.
Jim

Nothing that long will clear chips without frequent withdrawal.
I ALWAYS grind a flat spot on a bit where the extension set screw grabs the bit. To not do so invites disaster, IMHO.
--
Jim in NC

On 6/8/2014 2:32 PM, Morgans wrote:

I'm sure that's true.

The Greenlee folks thought of that. It's hard to see in the photos, but the shaft of the bit and the recess in the extension are both a triangular cross-section.