Long Cherry needed.

I need a 16 ft. long piece of cherry 8/4 x 6" to use as a mantle.
Please let me know if you have one for sale.
That is one Big Freakin Mantle <G>
Going to be hard to find it @ 16' Try skarfing two pieces, if done right you will never see it
Good Luck George

I've got some peices like that. But they all tend to split. Your best bet for stability is to glue one up alternating grain directions.
Wendell

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 09:20:25 -0700, "George M. Kazaka"

My thoughts exactly! What do you burn in that fireplace giant redwoods? <G>
Can we see it when it's done?
Barry
You might look into reclaimed used timbers. One outfit near me is vintagetimber.com. Their stock varies but includes "western slope old growth Douglas Fir, Pine, Redwood and Cedar, antique eastern hardwood timbers and barn board planks and reclaimed flooring from Australia". IIRC I found them by googling on "exotic woods" or was that "erotic woods"?
    mahalo,     jo4hn
dave martin wrote:

858 Scotland Rd. Quarryville, PA 17566 (800) 342-0001
I am not affiliated in any way, but they have been wonderful when I need a specific piece of cherry.
Bob McBreen - Yarrow Point Washington
On 26 Dec 2003 08:12:58 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@newarts.com (dave martin) wrote:

One solid piece like that will be subject to twisting, waning, splitting, cracking and bowing, especially over a fireplace.
You can get it from a retail millshop that buys wholesale from a big supplier such as Horn or Heidler in Chicago. You'd have to call the shop and order it special, and it would be many gold dabloons - I suggest Janik Millwork at 708-482-4844