Long Cherry needed.

I need a 16 ft. long piece of cherry 8/4 x 6" to use as a mantle.

Please let me know if you have one for sale.

Reply to
dave martin

That is one Big Freakin Mantle

Going to be hard to find it @ 16' Try skarfing two pieces, if done right you will never see it

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

I've got some peices like that. But they all tend to split. Your best bet for stability is to glue one up alternating grain directions.

Reply to
<redd103

You might look into reclaimed used timbers. One outfit near me is vintagetimber.com. Their stock varies but includes "western slope old growth Douglas Fir, Pine, Redwood and Cedar, antique eastern hardwood timbers and barn board planks and reclaimed flooring from Australia". IIRC I found them by googling on "exotic woods" or was that "erotic woods"?

mahalo, jo4hn

dave mart> I need a 16 ft. long piece of cherry 8/4 x 6" to use as a mantle. >

Reply to
jo4hn

My thoughts exactly! What do you burn in that fireplace giant redwoods?

Can we see it when it's done?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

How about:

Groff & Groff Lumber snipped-for-privacy@epix.net

858 Scotland Rd. Quarryville, PA 17566 (800) 342-0001

I am not affiliated in any way, but they have been wonderful when I need a specific piece of cherry.

Bob McBreen - Yarrow Point Washington

Reply to
RWM

One solid piece like that will be subject to twisting, waning, splitting, cracking and bowing, especially over a fireplace.

Reply to
Phisherman

You can get it from a retail millshop that buys wholesale from a big supplier such as Horn or Heidler in Chicago. You'd have to call the shop and order it special, and it would be many gold dabloons - I suggest Janik Millwork at 708-482-4844

Reply to
BUB 209