Loft ladder designs

I'm trying to figure out what might be the optimized loft ladder design for my use.

Basically my case is something like this:

's not from my place, but I too have to put the ladder on the corner. My ladder height would be a bit less. That picture is the typical solution. Some of the main points in that are:

  • the handle for one side is good for support
  • the cavities on the steps give better space for the knee
  • the width is comfortable

- the steps may be a bit slippery, and especially with slippery socks you can't go up/down very quickly

- the upper step still is blocking the knee in spite of the cavity

The main problem for me in that is the width - I have a sofa which I should cram quite near to the corner if possible. The question is, does anyone have good ideas how to optimize the width, but have still great comfortability (and speed of going up/down)? I'm in good health so it doesn't have to be terribly easy to climb, but I'm hoping that I wouldn't have to go to the vertical ladder solution.. Probably the use of both walls around the corner is not useful - at least my feel is that it's not good to put steps basically on 90 degrees angle of each other.

In addition to minimized width I would also benefit from not having the ladder very inclined, but on the other hand it can be somewhat inclined if width is small or it gets wider only half way up or so. But anyway, I'm wondering if there are some good ideas how to optimize a loft ladder design for a small space, in the corner of a room.

Also a bit simpler question, which would be better, a flat step or one with some slits like in this:

? This would be to lessen the slipperiness, but maybe the slits get dirty too often?

Reply to
Kalle Heinänen

I would cover the treads with carpet to reduce slipperyness.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I have seen these with offset steps. That may enable a narower design.

basicly this (look at this in a non-proportional or fixed font)

|_| | | |_| |_| | | |_| |_| | | |_| |_| | | |_| |_|_|

There is non-skid material that can be attached to the treads. May also consider a sprinkle of sand into some wet polyurathane.

Reply to
No

This middlestick/zig-zag idea (without anything in front of the shin) could perhaps work. I will look into it.

More ideas are still welcome..

Reply to
Kalle Heinänen

Now that I think about it, there was a loft shown on This Old House. It was designed using boat architecture. They had the alternating steps. They said it was a small area and that nothing else would work. I thought it was quite clever.

After all, you only use one half of any step on a ladder. So why not just build the half step version. You end up with a nice, wide step to so support the foot for safety. And can cram the whole thing into a small space.

Maybe you can get some ideas from boat builders or boat books.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

If I recall correctly, they just dadoed the steps into the sides and middle supports. They used substantial sides and middle supports to provide adequate support. The steps were about a foot long. Nice wood that was finished well. It looked good.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I think thats where I saw this done. I did do a very quick look on the net but couldn't find a picture. If the OP wants to provide me with measurements I could probably build one pretty easily. (So could lots of others here I'm sure)

Reply to
No