LN 140 -- Veritas alternative?

Have about decided to use a Christmas gift certificate for a LN 140.
This review http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?tU62 points out some negatives of this plane, but Alf's main negatives seem to be as a general purpose skew plane. Having just fielded my first raised panels with bench planes, I'm sold on this plane for that purpose, and am willing to live with the negatives mentioned in this review.
However, in the discussion, someone asked "Do you know if Veritas got plans to manufacture one of these types?", to which Rob Lee replied "....of course..... but different..."
Anyone (Rob?) know the status of that? The only candidate I know of in the last 18 months is the trim plane, which is a small skew plane, but not a 140 substitute for my purpose.

Hi Alex -
Yes - I know the status of it.... :)
We'll be doing R+L skew rebate planes (not in block plane form) later this year... design is 90% complete. We have several other planes ahead of it (them) right now...
Cheers -
Rob

But I've got this promo mailing for free shipping if I order before mid-Feb. Are you saying it won't be out by then? <g>
Is this the "289-inspired" plane you mentioned in a chat early last year? If it has a depth stop, fence, and nicker, it looks like this might be a good tool for raising panels.