LIVE TRAP

Page 2 of 2

Sat, Nov 5, 2005, 8:25pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@bendcable.com (TimDouglass) doth wondereth: <snip> JOAT, I sometimes wonder just what you are searching for when youfind these gems. <snip>
Hell, I don't know what I was looking for, not traps, that's for sure. Something on boats, or boatbuilding, I think. Maybe. I love google.
JOAT If it ain't broke, don't lend it. - Red Green
Sat, Nov 5, 2005, 8:25pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@bendcable.com (TimDouglass) did say: JOAT, I sometimes wonder just what you are searching for when you find these gems. <snip>
On second thought, I may have ran across this somewhere about the time I found the lawnmower propane conversion. But, I still don't recall what I was looking for in the first place.
JOAT If it ain't broke, don't lend it. - Red Green
On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 20:25:46 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Tim

What, you have something against a man feeding himself? <bseg>

Right, figure out a way to remotely release any unwanted detainees.
------------------------------------------------------------------------- Poverty is easy. * http://diversify.com It's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design -------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 20:25:46 -0800, Tim Douglass

There's a secret to (live) trapping skunks and not getting sprayed.
When we lived in the suburbs (walking distance to a major mall) we had a skunk problem. They would come onto the patio and mingle with our cats as they enjoyed the cat food. Animal Control came out a few times and trapped them for us, but often we had a hard time getting them to respond. I rented a trap several times and finally figuered that I'd be money ahead to just buy my own.
So without much thought I bought the same size that I had been renting, which is way bigger than necessary for skunks. But it worked and now that I'm out in the desert with no skunks I mostly use it for pack rats. (For them I follow up with a pellet gun.)
Oh... the secret... put the trap in a bag and they won't spray. I use a 30 gallon plastic trash bag, but for a smaller trap a grocery bag would do.
Sun, Nov 6, 2005, 8:06am (EST-2) n7ws*@*yahoo.com (WesStewart) hath claimed: When we lived in the suburbs (walking distance to a major mall) we had a skunk problem. They would come onto the patio and mingle with our cats as they enjoyed the cat food. <snip>
Oh, I don't know. As long as they weren't spraying anyone, no major problem. After all, you could have fed the cats inside. But, they would probably have gotten used to you, and wouldn't be aggressive toward you. As a plus, they might well spray anyone prowling around that they weren't used to, like burglars - watch skunks.
JOAT If it ain't broke, don't lend it. - Red Green
On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 14:10:42 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Here, skunks are a major rabies carrier. That is the main reason Animal Control would trap (and dispatch) them. I started trapping myself after I called them once in December and the guy, who obviously didn't want to do his job, told me, "Rabies isn't a problem in the winter. But if they're mingling with your cats and we come out, we will quarantine your cats unless they've had rabies shots."
When I talked to my vet to get history of their last shots and report him this conversation he said, "What an asshole, rabies isn't a seasonal disease."
My then three-year-old son went through two weeks of rabies shots after he was bitten by a dog, that I had just adopted, from all places, Animal Control. It seems the bozos don't quarantine adoptable dogs long enough to verify they're rabies free. Trust me, it is no fun.
Sun, Nov 6, 2005, 3:52am snipped-for-privacy@electron.com (GregG.) spoketh so: Funny you should mention that, and stupid that I didn't think of it, but when I worked as a mechanic (many years ago), ball bearing guns were... well... sort of a sport around some shops. Various designs like the one you mention were occasionally seen. Then again, I don't think I could have grabbed all the paraphernalia needed and got it hooked up in time to rescue anyone...
True, you'd have to have a compress air tank to be reasonably mobile with one. For some reason, I was thinking of having the compressor inside, and already hooked up.
Forgot to mention before, I'd start documenting this on video, before taking any direct action. But, I wouldn't put that off to talk to the neighbors first. I'd start with that first, then talk to them. It's hard to do much with "his word against your word". But, if you get that far, it's very hard to dispute taped proof. Unless you opt to move - if it was me, I'd probably consider that - you've pretty much got to get along with your neighbors. That doesn't necessarily mean talk to them, and be buddies - I don't talk to any of my neighbors, unless we see each other in the store or something, but we at least wave when we see each other. So, I'd try to keep it friendly, if possible, and keep the tape in reserve. I do not think I'd want to show it to any of the neighbors. I think I'd keep it, and if absolutely necessary, turn it over to proper authorities, and let them show it, if things get that far, and need be. I'd start low level, and work up, maybe eventually getting with some of the city and/or county officials.
A viable option might be an electric fence around your garbage cans. We got a dog level electric fence, but it didn't work welll. So, we looked more, and found one rated at pets for the bottom level, up to cattle. Works like a charm. If you don't believe that, you're welcome to come up and grab outs. LOL Or, the BB gun option. Mine is a Powerline, Model 15XT, C02 BB, by Daisy - 15 shot, semi-auto. Got mine at Wally World, for around $30-35 if I recall right. It'll sting a dog, but not "hurt" them. I wouldn't want to do anything to wound a dog, so my next level up would be lethal. But, my first step would definitely be to immediately start documenting this stuff on tape, no matter what my next step would be.
JOAT If it ain't broke, don't lend it. - Red Green