Live Oak Wood

Page 1 of 3
Can live oak be used for building wood projects? I am about to have a live oak tree taken down and I would like to have the trunk cut into planks. I don't want to spend the money for sawing if it is not a good wood for projects.
Thanks
Don

Oak is great for lots of things. If you have it cut you need to stack it with wood strips (stickers) spacing the layers and space between the p[lanks for air circulation. It will need to air-dry for one year per inch of thickness.
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
I once tried to do what you are doing. The live oak that I tried did not look very good when it was cut into. Alot different than red or white oak. But then again, it could have just been that particular tree. The grain was pretty crazy, and lots of defects. Your tree may look different.

oak
want to

Live oak has large open grain.It's stringy and tough to deal with. It will tak more than a year to dry your wood though. Make sure you seal the ends of the boards with a heavy coat of paint or sealer: http://miva3.synergydns.net/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=packard&Category_Code=woodprep-endgws

live
Steven Bliss notes:

Distorted grain is common in live oak.
Charlie Self
"In the final choice a soldier's pack is not so heavy as a prisoner's chains." Dwight D. Eisenhower

That's 'cause live oak is not oak. I never heard of it until I visited South Carolina a couple of years ago and saw lots of it along the side roads. Look it up, it's an interesting tree.
Mike
Michael Daly responds:

Quercus virginiania is an oak.
Charlie Self
"In the final choice a soldier's pack is not so heavy as a prisoner's chains." Dwight D. Eisenhower
On 13-Dec-2003, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Ooops, you're right. My memory must be slipping - I remembered reading that live oak was a misnamed tree as it wasn't oak. Perhaps I'm mixing it up with another tree.
Mike
Poplar, probably.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

Tanoak, AKA live oak. Hell, if the world can't confuse you with aliases for tree names, what CAN it do?
But it's also a member of the beech family that contains oaks.
Charlie Self
Charlie Self wrote:

I don't know how many times you have to say it Charlie before everybody gets the picture (name) but Quercus virginiana it is. Tree names are a bitch because there are scientific names (thank God) then there are the common names used by foresters, lumber/timber industry, and finished wood or furniture industry, so that you can easily have 3 names for the same thing, but just to confuse everyone, the same name is often used for different woods. Then in the U.S. you often have to include the coast, e.g., western red cedar (which isn't a real cedar anyway).
My book shows 5 live oaks, Q. virginiana (the subject tree that grows only on the east/southern coast); Q. chrysolepsis (canyon live oak); Q. wislizenii (interior live oak); and Q agrifolia (California live oak). All of them are evergreen and the last four grow only on the west coast.

To make matters worse there is also the Sand Live Oak Q.geminata and the Laurel Oak Q.laurifolia or Q.hemisphaerica that are commonly lumped into "live oak" category in Florida. You have to look closely to tell the difference.
(Popt50) wrote:

Live oak is hard as a stone. You may have trouble finding a sawyer who's willing to cut it up for you -- it's pretty hard on blades. I don't think I'd want to try to make furniture out of it.

In the UK there are mobiles that will do the job for you.
Jaqy

Yeah, but there isn't any live oak in the UK. It grows only in the coastal regions of the southeastern USA.
Doug Miller wrote:

Sorry, I got confused with a living Oak tree!!
Jaqy

regions of the southeastern USA.
Not naturally, but they have been cultivated there since the 16th century. Live oaks grow naturally in all the continents of the Northern Hemisphere. PvR
"Popt50" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m06.aol.com...
Popt50 asks:

Ayup.
A bit difficult to season...slow, slow, slow is best. Keep out of sun, coat ends. Durable wood (makes the heaviest picnic tables you'll find if all you use is domestic wood). Used for ship framing 250-300 years ago. Not generally available as a commercial timber, very hard, hard to work, should be fun and a true challenge (not a yuppie synonym for a problem).
Enjoy.
Charlie Self
"In the final choice a soldier's pack is not so heavy as a prisoner's chains." Dwight D. Eisenhower
This is what comes from living so far north... "live oak" is apparently a specific type of tree, rather than an oak tree that is alive.
Learn sumpin' every day.
djb