Little OT: 8' truck bed going away

I have a 12YO Ranger with the extended cab and four doors. There's never been anyone in the back "seats" but I would never buy a standard cab. I carry lots of stuff back there, locked and out of sight. We've taken it on many trips (it's last will probably this spring) and we travel with the suitcases back there.
What I don't understand are caps and covers, particularly the solid ones. If you want a station wagon, buy a station wagon. ;-)
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in

You'll need a can opener to get the top off if you want to haul something tall. At least with the caps and covers (caps maybe not so much) you can remove them with a reasonable amount of hassle.
The snap fabric covers make a lot of sense to me for a truck bed, the other covers not so much.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

I like my original Truxedo ... seven years and it's going strong.
http://www.truxedo.com/images/trax/gallery-half-lg.jpg
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

On 2/9/2013 2:48 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Only the one "townie" SB has 3-doors w/ the relatively small seats in back (the other "real" work trucks are straight 2D conventional cabs). If had crews, etc., that would be a whole different thing but since don't I'll trade the bed for the cab and keep the shorter wheelbase for my purposes.
I've got a conventional molded topper on the SB; it's dressy for town and while not terribly secure it is dry yet provides decent height for more bulky stuff. We took it to West Coast (OR/WA) when daughter had moved w/ a rear full of boxes of her stuff from TN house and three. Comfortable enough if not luxurious in rear for us given none of us are tall...

On 09 Feb 2013 20:48:40 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

it back on..
With a hard toneau, about 3 minutes off, and about the same back on.
The snap-op toneau I had on my '57 Fargo Custom came off in about a minute - went on in about 3 if it was warm and dry - forget about it if it was cold and/or damp. It was made of convertible top material and fit like a drum-skin.

The problem with a hard tonneau is that it is a two person job to remove and replace and then where to put it once it is removed.
On 2/10/2013 8:15 AM, Leon wrote: ...

Some bicycle hooks (or similar) and pulleys from the garage ceiling make short work of it--can do the cab-height hardtop shell on the SB by self <20 minutes and drive out from under it...reverse to replace.

Some years ago I bought a used full size 86 Chevy that had a Leer cap on the bed. I was able to remove and install it myself in about 10 or 15 minutes by using a pair of 2X4s as ramps to slide it off the bed sides and onto the ground, and vise versa. As I recall only 4 bolts and nuts held it on, one at each corner. This was a pretty simply made, very basic bed topper, I'm sure that there are others that are too heavy to be done this way by a single person.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 17:04:05 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

Assuming there is a garage.
$5-$6/gal will speed the process along.
Lew
On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 17:08:30 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

I'm confused. $5-$6/gallon gas will speed up the process of placing a cap on a PU? Building a garage? Making sure there are two chickens in every garage?
Oh, and I'm quite sure that Obama will get it at *least* that high, which will make you giddy, I'm sure. I just don't see how it's relevant to hanging a truck cap from a garage ceiling or the statement that it's hard if there is no garage. Please elaborate.

cars it the 1970 caused the creation of the mini van, SUV and the two seat pickup trucks. Today the SUV is one of the most hated cars on the high highway. Just the other day a rogue SUV carried its owner in front of a semi and killed its occupant, and caused a multi vehicle pile up in Indiana.
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

"Keith Nuttle" wrote:

How about $5-$6/gallon gas reducing the demand for V-8 gas guzzlers which includes pick ups with a full 8 ft bed. ---------------------------------------------

See above.
Lew
On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 18:28:01 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 21:03:39 -0500, Keith Nuttle

I don't think it is the SUV that people hate, but they seem to attract a higher percentage of idiot drivers than other vehicles. It is as if once you are in an SUV, the rules of the road and laws of physics no longer apply to you.
On 2/10/2013 9:55 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Soccer Mon's running late.
But speaking of which, have you notice that mini vans are the new speed wagons?
On 2/11/2013 8:34 AM, Leon wrote:

We could do without 50% of the mouth breathing idiots we see on the freeways around here ... and even sadder is that they vote.
That hail hit you yet? You may need to duck ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Drive a Jeep for a while any you may start to believe that yourself! :)