lithium-ion and infrequent use

I am wanting to get an 18v lithium-ion compact drill, either a Makita or a Bosch. I've used both and like them. I currently have a Makita 12v regular battery, that I used the heck out of on and off until the batteries went and really liked it. My other drill is a Hitachi 18v, regular battery. Never liked the chuck on that one and every time I pull it out, I have to charge the batteries. So my usage is, when I have a project going, I'll use it quite a bit, then it may sit un-used for maybe months. I want to quit fooling with these others and get the lithium-ion, so would this be better for my usage. I may get, or have rebuilt, one of the Bosch's 12 batteries since I liked that drill so much and have it as a second drill. I do have a corded drill also. Thanks.

Reply to
Paul

Thanks for the information.

RicodJour

"Paul" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

I'm not sure how long LiON will sit before they need to be recharged, but it can be quite some time. There's a few times my batteries have gone a couple of months without being recharged, but as of late I've been wearing one out a night. (I'm in the middle of a large project.)

One of the most important things is to make sure you get a smart charger. They quit charging when the battery is full, preventing lethal overcharge. Many smart chargers sold today are also fast chargers, meaning the battery is charged in an hour.

FWIW, if you have one more battery than tools to use it in and a one-hour charger, you can keep cycling batteries through your project almost indefinately.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

For what it is worth. I have had a Makita impact driver for 5-6 years and have had a Bosch impact driver for about 2 years. Why both, someone, I still do not know who, sent me the Bosch impact driver directly from Bosch address to me for free. No info on the packing list other than it was shipped from Bosch. The Makita is a 12. volt NiMH and the Bosch is a 12 volt lithium Ion.

I like the older Makita better, It fits my larger hand better than the Bosch and it has a "better built" feel. Have not used the Bosch enough to know if the battery lasts any longer or not considering the age of both tools. Given that the Makita is older the batteries do loose charge faster when not being used, but I would rather wait for the batteries to charge than to pull out the Bosch.

Reply to
Leon

The LioN batteries are much tougher and can hold a charge for years without charging. Their capacity is much higher for the same weight and volume.

ALL LioN charger are smart otherwise they are dangerous. Apparently the market for them was held off after a black box blew a jet cockpit apart many years ago.

I bought a Milwaukee 12V LioN drill in the spring with a very slim battery and handle (no bump). It felt awkward at first without the heavy weight at the end of the handle. I got used to it and love it, now. I just used it to finish the decking on my deck. Did some decking support backing framing with deck screws and deck board (5/4). Went though about 25 pounds of 2.5" screws and this little drill performed flawlessly without even a strain. Seciond battery was always charged way ahead of the installed one going dead. The only disadvantage I can see is there is no real notice of battery dying. You get a few hiccups and then full stop. Then you look at the 4 LED meter on the side and only one lights. Battery swap time. Even when it came time to do all the **FILL** screws (I did the ends and middle of each deck board as I cut them) the swap battery was always ready ahead fo the installed one (continuous screwing).

I am really impressed with LioN batteries. It would have killed my 12v Ni-Cad units (and has on previous cases) They are never the same after the hard usage. Bastards won't introduce NiMh batteries for some marketting scheme to keep the users suffering! LOL

NiCads are raed by the manufactures to lose 1% of their charge per day on the shelf. My experience has shown this to be overstated, when new, and as age creeps in, a complete lie. More like 10% per day after a many hard uses and age. Nicads do not like to be stored charged as nickel bridges develop that internally drain their charges off as they get older. NiCads do not lose much capacity in sub-zero weather.

LioN batteries do notlike to completely discharged and mnost usages have circuits to prevent that. Always keep them over half charged for best life. Not sure about cold temperature effects on them.

I doubt you could adapt old drills for usage with LioN. Special charging techniques and temperature monitors are used to avoid explosion, I am told. Nicads just had a 1/10C charge thrown at them or voltage sensing fast charge in the smarter chargers. LioN takes a lot more finesse and complexity.

You need new chucks anyway.

"Paul" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com... I am wanting to get an 18v lithium-ion compact drill, either a Makita or a Bosch. I've used both and like them. I currently have a Makita 12v regular battery, that I used the heck out of on and off until the batteries went and really liked it. My other drill is a Hitachi 18v, regular battery. Never liked the chuck on that one and every time I pull it out, I have to charge the batteries. So my usage is, when I have a project going, I'll use it quite a bit, then it may sit un-used for maybe months. I want to quit fooling with these others and get the lithium-ion, so would this be better for my usage. I may get, or have rebuilt, one of the Bosch's 12 batteries since I liked that drill so much and have it as a second drill. I do have a corded drill also. Thanks.

Reply to
Josepi

Old 18v Dewalt tools work fine with the new batteries.

Reply to
J. Clarke

In news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com, Leon spewed forth:

ya wanna sell the Bosch?

Reply to
ChairMan

cpomilwaukee had the 18v lithium ion drill and impact driver kit on sale for $199. Great price, Great drills.

JP

Reply to
Mark Whittingham

Keep them at room temperature - I have a tool in the shop that dried out. A like tool gotten at the same time - in the house - works just fine. I don't think Li-Ion can handle temps over 100 very well.

Mart> "Paul" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com: >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Thanks guys for your comments. Sounds like the way to go. I want this to be the last one of these I have to buy.

Reply to
Paul

It will be the last only if you don't plan on owning one in 5-7 years. None of thse drills and or batteries last for ever.

Reply to
Leon

I gotta second that Leon. If your in this for the long haul, you're gonna be buying more than that one set up.. I've gone thru quite a few brands and drills and combo kits over the years and I've think I've settled on the 18v Makita L-ion for the time being. When the batteries take a crap, I think I'm going to rebuild with NiMh. They say my Makita L-ion charger will charge them. I am thinking about rebuilding some NiCads for my 12V Firestorm drills though. They are nice shop drills and I've got 3 drills out of 4 that work fine and 6 batteries to rebuild.

RP

Reply to
RP