liquid hide glue

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:38:57 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com wrote:

Fish skin glue is rubbish, IMHO (like sandpaper, rather than glasspaper). The _good_ stuff is made from swim bladders, not skin.
The best of all is supposed to be made from sturgeon, but that's hard to find (and sturgeon are endangered).
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:38:57 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com wrote:

Okay -- A further check of the web reveals that hide glue is apparently difficult to get in some countries -- including New Zealand. (Don't ask me why.) Further it can be made from ordinary gelatin, as someone mentioned in this thread.
Here's a link to a recipe and instructions from New Zealand for those who don't have access to hides.
http://www.gunsmithsociety.com/technical-animal.htm
snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com says...

to explain it again."
The anniversary of his death was a couple of days ago. The average person probably knows more lines from Kipling than from any other poet.

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:36:23 -0800, Larry Blanchard

Would it surprise you to know that that's one of my favorite Kipling poems?
Along with:
"It was our fault and our very grave fault and now we must put it to use. We've a million reasons for failure but not a single excuse."

Sometimes a wonderful poet. And greatly unappreciated these days.
snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com says...

There are so many. I'm partial to the "history of England" ones, especially the pre-conquest ones. Some of the ones from Puck of Pooks Hill are great. Hearthsong of the Dane Women is a favorite, as is The Sons of Martha and The Last of the Light Brigade.
Have you ever read his travel books? His trip through America especially. The US and Canada through the eyes of an improper Victorian :-).

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:38:13 -0800, Larry Blanchard

"This is no common earth, nor water wood or air but Merlin's isle of Grammery where you and I must fare."

Yeah, I have read some of his travel books. Along with a _lot_ of his fiction.
Problem is, a lot of his stuff leaves me ambivalent. He was a great poet -- when he chose to be -- and a wonderful storyteller, but by our standards he was basically not a very nice person. You might say he possessed both the virtues and faults of Victorian/Edwardian England to fine, high excess.
--RC
snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com says...

him by todays standards. And in fact he seemed to have a higher opinion of the Empire's subject races than a lot of his contemporaries.
And I've noted that a lot of highly talented people have been arrogant SOBs or at least had unconventional social habits. Seems to go with the territory. I try to just enjoy their talents, since I don't have to put up with them in person :-).
Come to think of it, I was probably in the top 1% of computer programmers in my day, and I was a PITA to a lot of folks. Tarred with my own brush :-).

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:47:54 -0800, Larry Blanchard

It's not so much a question of judging Kipling as it is that some of his attitudes grate on me. Kipling was what he was and as with any historical figure, you simply accept that.
--RC
Q: Do you like Kipling? A: Don't know. I never Kippled. :-)
    har de har,     jo4hn
jo4hn wrote:

"He does make exceedingly good cakes!"
Niel.

There's a Canuck blog called "The Gods of the Copybook Headings" <http://godscopybook.blogs.com/ ... djb
--
"I'm a man, but I can change... If I have to... I guess." -- Red Green

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Did he write "Roses are red, violets are blue....?" :)
Silvan wrote:

Roses are red, Violets are purple. Sugar is sweet, So's maple surple.
(thanks to Roger Miller)
jo4hn wrote:

Roger Miller? I thought that was Shakespeare?
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:38:57 +0000, rcook5 wrote:

Thanks, followed another poster's link to OldTools for an exhaustive discussion of hide glues. Collagen is collagen, but it comes in different lengths. (One _can_ use Knox gelatin as glue, but it's apparently very tricky to do. Which begs the question, if one refrains from staining one's cherry project, could one glue it up with cherry Jello? <th-th-that's a jolk, fokes>)
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com

No idea.
But I have made dye lasers from jello (lime and tangerine worked best). Really nasty cheap Korean whiskey-drink worked too. You've got to love those artificial colours.
Here rabbit glue isn't available only hide glue is aavailable.SaeedCh Australopithecus scobis wrote: