Linux test

Page 2 of 2
Silvan wrote:

If it "just works" that's because the kernel was compiled with everything turned on. Means that it's bigger and slower than it needs to be. Probably not optimized for your processor either.

--
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

Yes, but big deal. I've done kernels both ways. Any performance difference is negligible at best, and it takes a substantial amount of fiddling to arrive at a kernel config with all of the wheat and none of the chaff. After about the fourth time my perfectly hone config didn't port forward without problems, I gave a stock kernel a try. It annoys me on general principles that there is so much chaff, but it's more of a theoretical than actual annoyance.
I think my perspective on a lot of this changed when my mobo died and I got stuck using a PII-233 for a few months. I had to go get a new kernel for the i686 architecture, and it was a lot faster to download a pre-compiled kernel image than to build one from scratch on that thing. Once I made that switch, I never have fooled with kernel tweaking again. I mean hell, when you're going from a PII-233 to a P4-2000, it doesn't really matter if you're running an i386 kernel or one custom tweaked to perfection. It's still a bazillion and a half times faster, no matter what.
So I just don't care anymore, basically. Spew all you want about the exciting advantages of doing all that crap by hand. I couldn't care less anymore. I have the T-shirt. I have better things to do now.
Silvan wrote:

Personally I don't find the few minutes it takes to go through menuconfig to be any particular burden.

Now I can see where recompiling the kernel on that would be a pain. I've got a dual 1 GHz machine here and an Athlon-64 machine--either of them handles the cross-compile right quick.

Long as it suits your purpose. You're not going to get a single-diskette router out that kernel though, to take one example of why tuning is beneficial.

--
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

It's not the few minutes it takes to go through menuconfig, but the number of times you have to go through menuconfig, compile, boot, and test before you get everything exactly right. Whoops, crap, how did I forget to compile agpgart or whatever.

I have a single 2 GHz box, and I have no idea how fast it can build a kernel. It can do a completely clean build of Rosegarden in 40 minutes though, which is a big improvement over the ten hours it was taking on that junker I got stuck using for far too long. :)

Well, if I were trying to build a single diskette router, I'd tweak the kernel! Duh! :)
(For that matter, I don't think I still own a diskette that actually works, let alone a functional drive to put it in. :)
Silvan wrote:

Sheesh! I posted a simple test to see if my new newsreader was working and the thread has been going for days.
Get a life, guys :-). It's not like I posted something cotroversial. Which I have been known to do :-).
--
Homo sapiens is a goal, not a description.

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Linux IS my life. I spend enough time hacking on stuff, writing about stuff, talking about stuff, helping people figure out stuff, that it's a second job and then some.
Well, that and making purty noises in various other ways. Trumpet, table saw, plane taking whisper quiet shavings, it's all good. :)

That's fine, but it's not as portable as knowing what it's really doing. It depends on how many flavors of unix you routinely deal with. For me, (let's call all Solaris variants one Unix to make it reasonable), on a weekly basis, I deal with FreeBSD, RedHat, Fedora, Solaris, IRIX, and MacOSX. Some weeks, HP-UX as well. I'd go nuts memorizing all of the admin tools for each, but as long as I can find the tool, the "Unix Rosetta Stone" comes in quite handy. (if you're not familiar with it, do yourself a favor and google for it).

Well, most of those things are a set-and-forget task, though. Also, I don't know of any admin tool that, for instance, allows me to gracefully create new virtual interfaces on an active ethernet port (hme0:15) kind of things.
Larry Blanchard wrote:

Evimtually we will put a stop to that.
Dave Hinz wrote:

Vmware. :)

I've been using vmware for years, can't beat it. When windows crashes, it's just another app on one of Linux's desktops, and I restart it. Amazingly enough, it seems to behave better in the virtual machine than it does in native mode on the actual hardware.
Dave