Linux test

Page 1 of 2
Just checking to see if I can post from Linux - I think I can, I think I can, I think I can :-).
--
Homo sapiens is a goal, not a description.

Larry Blanchard did say:

I think you did, I think you did!
--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

And then you did!
OOH OOH and then me!
(actually, I'm doing a little test m'self)

Using software based on 'the little news engine that could', I see. :)
snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com says...

Well, after all, I'm a model railroader as well as a woodworker :-).

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Isn't it strange how woodworking and model railroading work hand in hand. I too am into both. Building furniture and cabinets but also love to build HO steam locomotives and a layout in the future.
Rich
--
*Remove "nospam" to email
"You can lead them to LINUX

Sun, Nov 21, 2004, 8:15pm snipped-for-privacy@no.net (loutent) has in inquiring mind that wants to know: Hi Joat, I'm sort of a newcomer here on the wreck, but have often followed your links for inspiration/humor/etc. Obviously, you have a lot of expertise in the woodworking area (and, may I say, life). Just wondering - why do you go the Web-TV route? My in-laws had this set-up for a few years and it seemed a PITA to us computer types (not that I'm a whiz at this stuff either). Just curious.
Obviously you have me confused with someone else. I have little expertise in anything. Experience, yes, experise, no.
I got a WebTV initially, because it was a cheap way to get on-line ($100), and I didn't have a lot of money to spare. My first unit fried in a storm, so I upgraded to the $200 version, for $50 on eBay, along with a new printer, about $100.
It's a bit of a PITA at times, but works, for about anything I want/need. I was a lead computer operator for 9 years, and still can't think of anything I would actually "need" a computer for. If I ever do think of anything, I'll get one. Until then, or until my unit dies, I'll stick with what's paid for, and works. But, if, and when, it croaks, I'll likely get one of the less expensive computer package deals.
JOAT Measure twice, cut once, swear repeatedly.
Larry Blanchard wrote:

I've just changed from the Pan newsreader to Mozilla Thunderbird. A definite improvement.
snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net says...

I've used that under Windows, but prefer Gravity.
I've got something called "Kontact" under Linux, but I'll probably download Mozilla when I get the time.
I'm still using W95 to post this, Linux is still being tuned. I got Mandrake Linux and it's a hog on my old slow machine. I'm slowly getting the fat out.

Ouch, that's pretty early. I assume you mean kernel 0.9? I came in somewhere around RedHat 4-ish. x86config gives me twitching nightmares to this day.

I'm using vi right now, but never had the need to learn nroff.

See, for all of our philosophical/political differences, we agree on the technology. That's refreshing to know.
Dave Hinz
On September 1993 plus 4100 days Dave Hinz wrote:

Just so you don't feel lacking...I'm an emacs user :) Been using linux since kernel .92, and this is being sent with gnus, which is an elisp program running inside emacs :)
Vox
--

Think of the Linux community as a niche economy isolated by its beliefs. Kind
of like the Amish, except that our religion requires us to use _higher_

Don't feel bad. I modified my Xorg.conf (a link to X86Config) and *something* changed it back every time I rebooted - seems if you don't go through the specific hoops that Mandrake wants you to, they assume you shouldn't be allowed to change anything :-).
I should have bought Slackware :-).
And the version I started with was 0.9 something. I think it was 0.97, but it's been a long time. I discovered it just before I installed Minix :-).

Larry Blanchard wrote:

http://www.debian.org
<Linux stuff>
SLRN??? You are using SLRN to post messages? Why, why, that doesn't even need a GUI fer Chrissakes!
How can you expect to create a rich feeding ground for the virus/trojan/worm/active-x/javascript virii/etc to flourish in a CLI-non winders environment?
--
If you don't know to switch the "com" and the "gmail",
You probably shouldn't attempt to email me.

Yes, yes, indeed, that's why I use it. When I'm doing "friends and family support" on the infected 'doze instance of the week for someone else, I can connect up to a "real" system and read usenet while waiting for whatever to download or scan. But, I _do_ have text colors turned on; I'm not a complete luddite.
I just updated to slrn from 'tin' a year or two ago, needed to be able to connect to multiple newsservers for a time, which tin didn't support so gracefully. Lost my killfile which had entries back to 1991 or so, sadly.

I'm happy to let someone else feed those maggots ;)
Dave

Are you using slrnpull? Are you using slrnpull to connect to multiple servers? If so, howdja do it?
BTW, I know the wreck is no place for a Linux distro war, but I do see some interesting parallels(between users of different distributions, I am not taking a bully pulpit to Window$ bash). There are those who must have the "whiz-bang" bells-n-whistles latest-n-greatest doesitallforyou distro/tool/fence/whatever, and are willing to sacrifice understanding for ease of use. Call it "getting a fish" They can usually do the job that they originally got the tool for, but don't see how it could apply to a lifetime of enjoyment/productivity.
Then there are those who take the time to understand the workings of the tools they have, and are able to see how they fit in with a good "toolset"; they learn to apply/modify techniques/configurations to suit the "project" they are currently on. Knowing the right tool for the job usually results in needing less of the wrong tools. Call it "learning to fish"
There are the rest of us, who, due to time/money/interest/desire/life/SWMBO(yes, "are you still fiddling with that Slackware?" is equal to "shouldn't the table saw just cut well right out of the box?") fall somewhere in the middle. Call it "having a nice fishing boat, but knowing there is a Red Lobster on the way home."
Notice I chose to put no particular tool brand or Linux distribution in the descriptions of the groups; If what you use suits your needs, then it is not my place to tell you what you "need". Have fun with whatcha got. Always try to get more! If you got too much, email me for my address-I'll be glad to take it off your hands
--
If you don't know to switch the "com" and the "gmail",
You probably shouldn't attempt to email me.

I was using something but it was a while ago now, and I don't remember what (let alone how) I set it up, sorry.

Well, I've been using RedHat (and now Fedora) for rather a long time. Yes, there are distros out there that are "better" for various purposes, but...I work in IT, and it's easier to sell management on Redhat Linux than, say, Slackware, just based on name recognition. Yes, it's silly. Yes, there are cases where Slackware, or Debian, or any of a number of other distros would be a closer fit to what we're trying to do, but by the time I install and config a system, it's not all that generic anyway. I'll be building a mailhub, and I think that one is gonna be OpenBSD, just for the security reasons.

Yes. Those who just learn how to drag-n-drool on the admintool of whatever they're working with, only learn how to drag-n-drool. Going in command line, or at least knowing what the drag-n-drool stuff actually is _doing_, is the key. Once you 'get' it, you can switch from Linux, to any of the other Unix / SYSV / BSD systems out there with little problem. But, if you memorize tools, you'll be lost when you switch.

Heh. For a while, I was running Redhat on a Sun Ultra5, right next to Solaris on a Intel PC, _just because_. Started out as a lark, but the UltraPenguin just kept running, so it served well for several years before I ended up doing something different.
Dave Hinz wrote:

OTOH, if you have GOOD tools.... I've forgotten how to mange all the module config stuff, compile kernels, and various other things because Debian Just Works (tm).
There's something to be said for knowing how to vim around, and something to be said for tools that work too. After awhile doing everything by hand gets to be a PITA.