link to lumber grading guide

I ran across the following link this morning (Thanks to the Geoff's Woodwork site in the UK -http://www.geoffswoodwork.co.uk ). I am not sure how many of you have seen this document but I found it to be an excellent source of information on grading of N. American hardwood species. The diagrams and photos of defects and grading practices helped me understand even more about the lumber grading process. It is an excellent document (in PDF format) that all woodworkers should be able to benefit from. Just thought I would share it with you.
http://www.ahec.org/hardwoods/pdfs/IllustratedGradingGuide.pdf
--
Cheers,
Howard

Fabulous! Thank you for posting that. The pictures are particularly great. I'm gonna print a copy for reference. I can think of a couple of lumber retailers I'd like to hit over the head with it... I told one of our local hardwood dealers recently that much of their "S&B" hard maple barely met the standards for 1COM, and if they were paying for S&B then they'd better have a talk with their supplier. I'm not sure they believed me. Maybe this will help.
On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 16:27:16 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

And, Douglas, can you tell us why there are only 49 contestants in the Miss Ebonics USA pagent?
Hmmm? Can you???
<page down>
Nobody wants to be Miss Idaho.
More than that, Howard, I would earnestly recommend a browse through Geoff's site to any newbie woodworker, and perhaps those more experienced woodworkers who wish to brush up on their knowledge. I'd say that it's primarily of interest to those who aspire to hand craftsmanship, but there are a whole host of topics such as timber grades, conversion, seasoning etc which will inform every description of woodworker
The man has patently put a great deal of experience and effort into the site, and to good effect as well.
Cheers
Frank

"Frank McVey" wrote ...

Geoff's
etc
Excellent advice, Frank. Geoff is a good guy and I love visiting his site when I get the chance. It is well worth the time spent!
--
Cheers,
Howard