Link belts stretching?

Page 2 of 2
My only complaint about the craftsman is a weak splitter\guard. It was bought for me last year so I can't complain much. It cuts wood. So it does it's job.

Well, thank you Dave! I thought it was just me, but I took a serpentine belt off my saw to put a link belt on. Had to, obviously, change pulleys too. I think it, the link belt, made the saw run louder and rougher. I'm going to pull it off tomorrow and put my old belt back on.
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
Jerry, my serp belt-run band saw is incredibly smooth running. I wish that Powermatic had outfitted the 54a planer with the same style belt.
Jerry Gilreath wrote:

TeamCasa wrote:

Try it and find out. Life expectancy isn't really a critical issue when it's so easy to put a new one on, and they really *do* dampen vibration significantly.
Most of my tools have direct drive universal motors still, but one exception to the rule is my horizontal bandsaw. It used to have so much vibration that the belt cover would flop around like a fish out of water. After installing a link belt, it barely flutters. It didn't eliminate all of the vibration, but it definitely made a marked difference.
Michael, If your belt flaps, fix that!
I don't really want to start a circular debate on this. If you and others are happy - that's fine with me. I'll stick with quality parts.
Dave

having spent 40 some odd years busting my knuckles on mainly europeon, plus a few jap & domestic autos for a living, plus having to endure the fiasco of dealer/port installed airconditioning, plus the fiasco York 2 cylinder a/c compressors installed on Piper aircraft has taught me a few things beltwise. One of the main issues with V belts is the lack of control of the placement of the plies in the cross section of the belt. Look at a premium automotive belt & you can see as the belt passes through the pulley, the reinforcing ply (s) wander all over the place. The rubber body wears at a different rate than the ply material & lo & behold the width start to vary & things start to shake. The serp belts are a huge improvement & a a plus it doesen't have to ride up & down in the groove as does a V belt. The link belt links are all ply material (fabric) & allows for easy replication (each link) in the manufacturing process so chance of defect, uneven wear is reduced. Also the link assembly flexes much better especially around a small pulley.
John, I never said serpentine belts were inferiour to V-belts. On the contrary, I prefer serpentines to any other type.
OTOH, I feel your pain on the aftermarket/port installed A/Cs. I have had to repair hundreds.
Dave