Link belts stretching?

Page 1 of 2
I put a link belt on my Delta Contractor's saw about a year ago. I've noticed that the saw now tends to bog down more easily when cutting thick stock than it used to. Do link belts stretch over time, requiring the removal of some links periodically?
why don't you bend down by your saw and take a look at the belt??
dave
John Graser wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote...

Dave, you missed the point.
Jim
clue me in. I thought the op was asking us if his belt is loose. Harder to tell from San Jose, than for the operator to make the small amount of effort to LOOK at the silly thing himself!
dave
Jim Wilson wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote...

No, he was asking if it was normal for link belts to stretch over time.
Jim
so, couldn't he conclude that by looking at his belt? If it was stretched, he could safely conclude that link belts stretch over time...sigh.
dave
Jim Wilson wrote:

No, he could conclude that *his* link belt had stretched over time. I believe he wanted to know if that is typical behavior for *all* link belts, or if it's peculiar to his.
sigh... I forgot you are a mind reader too! :)
dave
Doug Miller wrote:

Dave, sigh......
John, I have 4 link belts on various machines for the past year or so. None have changed length that I can measure.
Rick

Bay Area Dave wrote...

How could he? He can only inspect one belt.
Jim
John Graser asks:

That stretchiness is what makes them so smooth. I''d pull a link or 2 to see if that helps, if you've checked your blade for suitability and sharpness.
Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin
John Graser wrote...

They do stretch for the first few hours of use. BTW, so do regular v- belts, at least the good ones. After twenty to twenty-five hours of use under load, they should be re-tensioned (and possibly have a link removed). At hobby-duty levels it can take awhile to put 25 hours on a machine.
Jim
Why don't you just put on a good quality V-belt. I don't quite understand this fascination of using an product that was originally designed to be used as an emergency fan belt with limited life expectancy to operate machinery. As an aside, quality belts do not stretch measurably. Sorry John. If the automotive and most other serious machine industries can rely on them I think the would be the best choice for your contrator saw.
Dave

VS. belts hold shape when not used often enough or the belt is cold. Hence, vibration in the blade\machine. A Link-Belt ends that vibration.

thick
News==----
Newsgroups
=---
Auto spell changed my "V" to a "VS"

Encryption
You are correct, I have the bad habit of thinking everyone live here in So.Cal. Would not just running your machine for a few minutes to warm-up the belt serve the same purpose? Dave

Encryption
I can run may table saw 20 minutes before the belt even starts to warm up. True, it does lessen after a few minutes. It's still very convenient to be able to start and cut.

I've
the
News==----
Newsgroups
=---
good point. My Powermatic band saw uses a serpentine style belt like cars made in the past decade and a half. Beats a link belt or a V-belt! Quiet, smooth power transfer and doesn't stretch as much as V or link.
dave
TeamCasa wrote:

Send me your Powermatic, I'll send you my Craftsman.

thick
News==----
Newsgroups
Encryption =---

can I get back to you on that, Bill??
Hey, I picked up some Craftsman chisels and they seem fine. Took forever to get the backs flat and shiny but they seem to hold an edge much better than the Marples I had purchased at HD last month (and returned).
dave