link belt upgrades to contractor saw

I was wondering how much difference those red link belt upgrades make to a contractor saw. I have a delta 34-444 with the standard belt (original issue- 12 years old). It does shutter and vibrate when starting up and shutting down. Probably vibrates more than it should during operation. What difference will changing to the expensive $25 link belt have?

Reply to
Jerry

Well, the two things you mention will disappear, if mine's any indication, and I had one of Gates' best no-memory types on it when I went red. The motor seems to stay put rather than climb under load, so you literally can set a nickel on edge and feed a chunk of 4/4 maple without toppling it. Twenty-five will seem cheap after you've run a few boards through.

Reply to
George

go to

and search for "link belt". You'll get more answers than you could read in an hour.

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

I agree with George. It is money well spent. You will get more power during difficult cuts and the vibration is very low.

Tim

Reply to
TDUP

I had an opposite experience with the green jason industrials belt. On my Jet contractors saw, the link belt slipped, and howled horribly. I had to go back to my no memory cog belt. That belt will bite hard enough to stall out the motor, a 2hp grizzley upgrade.

Alan

Reply to
arw01

short answer: LOTS. all of it good.

Quieter under start-up/shut-down, and no load.

*noticably* less vibration, which translates to smoother cutting, and better 'ease of use'.

what more do you want? Egg in your beer?

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

My table saw shuddered terribly on startup and shut down, and definitely did not pass the nickle test. New link belt=can ballance a dime from startup to shut down! All saws should come with a link belt. Worth every penny. Just make sure your pulley is the right size for the right belt. I was advised to put a 1/2" belt on my 3/8" pulley. The motor dropped twice. 3/8" works fantastic- If yours is 3/8 Grizzly.com has them.

Reply to
Bob in Oregon