Link Belt Source?

I bought a 1/2 inch link belt for my General Table Saw
<http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=2&page0051&categ ory=1,240,41067>
Unfortunately, the 1/2 inch is too wide for my saw and keeps slipping off. I understand that the manufacturer also makes a 3/8 inch version, but non of the usual sources (Lee Valley, Rocker, Woodcraft) mention anything but the 1/2 inch version. Does anyone know a source for the narrower belt?
Thank,
--
Hank Gillette

Why a link belt? They are inherently weaker and do not transfer 100% of the motor power to the blade. The only advantage I can see is they may reduce some vibration in applications where the device does not get used often enough to keep a standard v-belt flexible enough.
After all, they were originally designed as an emergency fan belt replacement and never intended for a permanent replacement.
Dave

The main reason I got one was because my saw came missing the belt and I figured this was the quickest way to get up and running. Second, I've heard several good comments about the reduction in vibration.
Fenner (the manufacturer) certainly doesn't position them as a temporary replacement.
--
Hank Gillette

I disagree, I have link belts on all my machines with no loss of power. The reduction of vibration is exceptional and they are as tough as nails.

What's your source for that information?
Bob
Since I was a kid, JCWhitney, PepBoys, United Auto, along with many independent auto parts houses sold them as emegency fan belts.
The number one manufacturer sells them as emergency belts as well http://www.cptbelts.com/products/vbelts/thorotwist/index.html
Dave

Woodworkers supply has the 3/8" link belt you were looking for. SH

Me too - but I think they've grown up.

brand? They're extremely inexpensive relatively!! Worth trying for the vibration reducement. Thanks, Art

Art, Where did you find the Thoro-twist belt at a good price? I've got the green Harbor Freight link belt (five feet for US$20) on my drill press, and now I want to get a new belt for my jointer. If I can find the Thoro-twist for less, I would definitely give it a shot. Lewis
TeamCasa wrote:

The red link belt material sold by WW places is an industrial product, not a temporary auto emergency belt. Check the manufacturer's page at http://www.fennerindustrial.com/products/powertwist_ind.html for details. (The Engineering Data link includes a picture of a 200 HP saw drive with this stuff that outlasts regular v-belts four to one.)
Tim

It's interesting that the instructions included with Fenner link belts explicitly say NOT to be used in automotive applications. maybe the JCW belts are different.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
Machinery belts and automotive belts look the same but actually have a different pitch. Interchanging them will cause slipping of the belt. Dick

"Thoro-Twist V-Belting is a perfect candidate for v-belt drives that have no take-up adjustment capability or, as an emergency replacement v-belt when the standard v-belt size is not available. Thoro-Flex can be assembled by hand and rolled onto the drive just like a bicycle chain. Strong and flexible, fabric-reinforced urethane rubber construction.
Available in 3L, A, B, & C cross-sections in 100 foot continuous length rolls."
Was that an "or" in there? <G>
Barry
Your local bearing supply house will have it, usually cheaper than the mail order places.
--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com

What is the source of this info????
Darrell
Hank Gillette wrote:

Grizzly has then, I have one on my G0444Z, makes for a lot less vibration than the belt that came with the saw. <http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G3639>
Jeff
On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 10:38:42 -0500, Hank Gillette

Go to http://www.grizzly.com and use their search tool to find "link belt" (without quotes of course). They have them in 3 different sizes; 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8".

Thanks for the pointer.
--
Hank Gillette