Lining a Speaker Cabinet

Page 2 of 2

Gosh. I never realized that I was in the company of such distinguished audiophiles. Tell me, to what grit should one sift that Zandvoort beach sand. It seems to me that if one wants seamless slides between midrange and upper midrange it should be sifted to at least 180 DIN. Do you agree?

Absolutely.

This discussion is getting ridiculous.
Unless you're using audiophile approved, bi-amp connected, 000 AWG oxygen-free battery cables to connect these speakers to a 10,000 watt amplifier, that in turn has an oxygen-free copper power cord connected to a $100 AC receptacle, any discussion of the enclosures is moot, so to speak.
Furthermore, if the residence in question has aluminum wire in the power feed to the building, any audiophile worth his salt is going to hear the distortion caused by the aluminum to copper interconnect in the service panel. Forget the damping in the speakers for now and break out the backhoe

I like constructive dialogue like this, and I can only hope it doesn't get silly. Hell, man, I can hear it if the neighbour's bathroom lightbulb isn't screwed in tight enough. It adds a grainy dimensional aberration in the upper-mid highs' 3rd layered harmonics (odd-order harmonics of course...goes without saying.) Especially detectable when into Hendrixx's Star Spangled Banner at 1:28 minutes. Either that, or Jimmy was nibbling at the callous on his left index finger again. Alas, we may never know.