Linear foot??

What is a linear foot? Say you want to buy some wood, rough cut 2" thick (don't know the width) at, say, $7 a linear foot. What amount of wood would ( a woodchuck, etc.) I get in a foot and how much would it cost?

Thanx

Reply to
Jimmy

A linear foot is a one foot measurement(length) for the wood in question. How much wood you are getting depends on the thickness and width of the wood. You would have to figure how many board feet there is in the linear foot to determine how much the cost per board foot is. Board foot = Width x thickness x length. So if your 2" thick wood was 12" wide, you would have 2 board feet in a linear foot, which = #3.50 a board foot.

P.T.

Reply to
P.T.
12 inches of whatever it is you're buying, sausages or tubafours.

As with sausages or tubafours, 12 inches of whatever it is you're buying.

Multiply the cost per linear foot times the number of linear feet you're buying, sausages or tubafours.

FWIW, construction framing lumber is generally sold by the linear foot.

Reply to
Swingman

Linear footage is priced based on a particular dimension. For example - 1X6 @ $X per linear foot. How much will you get? Simple math. You cannot associate linear pricing with board foot pricing without speaking about a specific board dimension.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I have always purchased rough lumber by the board foot and dressed lumber by the linear foot. Is that not true in other parts of the country?

Reply to
henry

Pretty much ... but instead of saying "dressed", I would say "dimensioned", which term may be regional in itself.

Reply to
Swingman

Pretty much the case in my part of the country (Indianapolis) -- but we have one hardwood dealer not too far from here who prices his rough lumber by the linear foot: so much per foot for a 6" wide board of a given species, so much more per foot for an 8" board, etc. Weird. But it does avoid the need to train employees to use board-foot rules, which probably reduces the error rate in pricing.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Where's this dealer located? I was just up there (Indy) last night. Got caught up in the storm!

Reply to
Tim Taylor

Linear foot:

-- Not to be confused with square foot, board foot, or any other "foot"

-- Twelve inches of whatever is being sold by the "linear" foot, regardless of width, thickness. Obviously the price varies with whatever it being sold.

Jimmy wrote:

Reply to
Pop

It's Hollingsworth Lumber in Russiaville (pronounced roosh-ya-vill), a few miles west of Kokomo. Great place -- good selection of quality lumber, helpful staff, great prices. I live on the NW side of Indy, and it's about a 45- to

50-minute drive for me, and well worth it if I'm buying a large load.
Reply to
Doug Miller

Good deal! I'm up that way quite a bit for my job. I do Kokomo quite often so I'll make some time to check it out. Do they do any quantity? No semi or anything like that, I'm talking small quantities, 50 or so feet???

Reply to
Tim Taylor

Errrrrmmm... you can buy yarn by the linear foot. Conversely, you can buy a concrete driveway by the linear foot. Liquorice laces. Shoe laces. All kinda stuff by the foot.

*S* r
Reply to
Robatoy

my yard (UK) prices wood by the cubic metre - oak is about £1300

Reply to
Bob Martin

Six bucks a BF? Hope it's the highest grade.

Reply to
George

They'll sell you as much, or as little, as you want. A real bonus is their "shorts" racks: offcuts less than 6 feet long. The shorter the piece, the lower the price _per_board_foot_. I built this piece entirely out of pieces from their shorts pile (except for the plywood shelf & back), at a cost of somewhere around $2/BF:

place is on State Road 29, about five miles west of US 31.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Alrighty then, next time I'm up that way I'll make it a point to stop in there. I did take some time out the other day coming back from Terre Haute on the way to Connersville to stop in the Rockler store up there. It's the first time I had ever been in there, man what a place! Thanks for the info, and the nightstand looks really good! Next to cherry, walnut rules!

Reply to
Tim Taylor

Pardon? £1300 is over 2400 USD. It's Croatian White Oak.

Reply to
Bob Martin

And there's 424 BF per cubic meter.

Reply to
Doug Payne

You asked 1) 'What is a 'linear foot'' 2) 'how much wood would you would get' and 3) 'how much would it cost.'

1) A linear foot is the length of the piece that you are getting. The reading on your tape measure.

2) As far as 'how much' or the volume of the wood. For a 1 foot long piece of 2" thick by 12" wide lumber; you would get 2 board feet. A board foot is a measurement of volume equal to 1 foot of 1"x12" lumber. By looking at the price per bf you can figure how much your going to spend for whatever volume of wood that you need.

Using the example above; at $7 per linear foot of 2" x 12" translates into $3.50 per boardfoot (bf). ($7 / 2bf = $3.50/bf)

Now lets say that you change your project. Using that same cost for bf ($3.50 per bf). For this example project lets say that you need 10 feet of 3"x6". That is 15 bf (10 x (3x6)/12) Your total cost is $52.50. (15bf x $3.50/bf) The price per linear foot on that lumber is $5.25 ($52.50 / 10ft)

3) It cost $7 times the reading on your tape measure.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
MSRoach

You would get 1 a one foot long board, rough cut to 2" thick, with a width you don't know, and it would cost $7 (plus tax)

Reply to
lwasserm