Linear foot??

Page 1 of 2

What is a linear foot? Say you want to buy some wood, rough cut 2" thick (don't know the width) at, say, $7 a linear foot. What amount of wood would ( a woodchuck, etc.) I get in a foot and how much would it cost?
Thanx
On Thu, 25 May 2006 08:28:14 +0000, Jimmy wrote:

A linear foot is a one foot measurement(length) for the wood in question. How much wood you are getting depends on the thickness and width of the wood. You would have to figure how many board feet there is in the linear foot to determine how much the cost per board foot is. Board foot = Width x thickness x length. So if your 2" thick wood was 12" wide, you would have 2 board feet in a linear foot, which = #3.50 a board foot.
P.T.
"Jimmy" wrote in message

12 inches of whatever it is you're buying, sausages or tubafours.

As with sausages or tubafours, 12 inches of whatever it is you're buying.

Multiply the cost per linear foot times the number of linear feet you're buying, sausages or tubafours.
FWIW, construction framing lumber is generally sold by the linear foot.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Linear footage is priced based on a particular dimension. For example - 1X6 @ $X per linear foot. How much will you get? Simple math. You cannot associate linear pricing with board foot pricing without speaking about a specific board dimension.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
"henry" > wrote in message

Pretty much ... but instead of saying "dressed", I would say "dimensioned", which term may be regional in itself.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

one hardwood dealer not too far from here who prices his rough lumber by the linear foot: so much per foot for a 6" wide board of a given species, so much more per foot for an 8" board, etc. Weird. But it does avoid the need to train employees to use board-foot rules, which probably reduces the error rate in pricing.
--
Regards,

Where's this dealer located? I was just up there (Indy) last night. Got caught up in the storm!

It's Hollingsworth Lumber in Russiaville (pronounced roosh-ya-vill), a few miles west of Kokomo. Great place -- good selection of quality lumber, helpful staff, great prices. I live on the NW side of Indy, and it's about a 45- to 50-minute drive for me, and well worth it if I'm buying a large load.
--
Regards,

Good deal! I'm up that way quite a bit for my job. I do Kokomo quite often so I'll make some time to check it out. Do they do any quantity? No semi or anything like that, I'm talking small quantities, 50 or so feet???

They'll sell you as much, or as little, as you want. A real bonus is their "shorts" racks: offcuts less than 6 feet long. The shorter the piece, the lower the price _per_board_foot_. I built this piece entirely out of pieces from their shorts pile (except for the plywood shelf & back), at a cost of somewhere around $2/BF:
http://www.milmac.com/Furniture/WalnutNightstand.JPG
The place is on State Road 29, about five miles west of US 31.
--
Regards,

Alrighty then, next time I'm up that way I'll make it a point to stop in there. I did take some time out the other day coming back from Terre Haute on the way to Connersville to stop in the Rockler store up there. It's the first time I had ever been in there, man what a place! Thanks for the info, and the nightstand looks really good! Next to cherry, walnut rules!

my yard (UK) prices wood by the cubic metre - oak is about 1300

Six bucks a BF? Hope it's the highest grade.

Pardon? 1300 is over 2400 USD. It's Croatian White Oak.
On 26/05/2006 1:15 PM, Bob Martin wrote:

And there's 424 BF per cubic meter.
I pay about 700 Euros per cubic metre here in France for 12 year dried oak suitable for cabinet making (rough cut though). 1300 pounds is pretty steep
Rory
Bob Martin wrote:

I'll be on the shuttle next time I need some! 700 Euros seems cheap even by US standards.
Linear foot: -- Not to be confused with square foot, board foot, or any other "foot" -- Twelve inches of whatever is being sold by the "linear" foot, regardless of width, thickness. Obviously the price varies with whatever it being sold.
Jimmy wrote:

Errrrrmmm... you can buy yarn by the linear foot. Conversely, you can buy a concrete driveway by the linear foot. Liquorice laces. Shoe laces. All kinda stuff by the foot.
*S*