Linear actuator needed

I need a linear actuator that can be mounted vertically to a wall or other surface and be able to support and lift about 100 lbs. Needs to be compact and preferrably AC powered and reversible.
Some sort of Acme Threaded assembly might work also. I'm not an engineer but I know enough about all this to get myself in trouble. I've looked at linear actuators and most are very expensive. I just wanted to see if some of the brighter minds out there can think of something practicle and won't break the bank.
Thanks in advance for your response.
Ken

Some of the resident engineers would probably appreciate knowing how much travel you need and what you are building. The second for possible alternative solutions.
Actuator from old satellite dish?? Wilson

Charley (in u1Cpg.6883$ snipped-for-privacy@southeast.rr.com) said:
| You might be able to modify an electric overhead garage door opener | to do what you want, but without more information about exactly | what you want to do it's difficult to suggest any kind of solution. | |
| || I need a linear actuator that can be mounted vertically to a wall || or other surface and be able to support and lift about 100 lbs. || Needs to be compact and preferrably AC powered and reversible. || || Some sort of Acme Threaded assembly might work also. I'm not an || engineer but I know enough about all this to get myself in trouble. || I've looked at linear actuators and most are very expensive. I || just wanted to see if some of the brighter minds out there can || think of something practicle and won't break the bank.
[ Ken's post hasn't shown up on my news server ]
It would help to know what you're doing and what kind of positional accuracy and speed you want to achieve.

Check on ebay. I bought two for a future project that has not been finished yet. I have tested them though and they are nice for the money. I beleive they come off of scrapped hospital beds. They are very heavy duty and reasonably priced. I looked up that seller and he does not have any currently available......but there are other sellers on ebay so that would be a good place to start. Surplus industrial suppliers on the net would be another. Lyndell
kcleere wrote:

Think satellite dish actuators; lots of choices and sizes. You need to give more info to get anything useful as an answer.

You could probably hack something together using 80-20 components: http://www.8020.net /
--
********
Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood wrote:

This is really the most annoying subject like. Every time I open the newsreader:
What does that man want a linear accelerator for, and why in woodworking?
Oh. Right. I've been here before. Can't believe it gets me virtually every time.
:-P
Sure have gotten alot of good info from woodworkers...lol....Sorry I posted this here by mistake and then it took on a life of it's own. However...the thought of using a linear actuator to raise and lower my drill press tabe is sort of a woodworking thing...right?????
I later posted this in Metalworking where I originally meant it to be...
KEn
Peter Huebner wrote:

I think he was referring to misreading the title, not that you shouldn't have posted...
Being raised near one, I also read "accelerator" instead of actuator...

Mac
On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 11:23:56 -0700, "Pounds on Wood"

I'll admit 80/20 is really slick.
Unfortunately, buying 80/20 is not so slick.
They force you to purchase through distributors as they will not sell direct. Unfortunately the distributor that I dealt with wasn't all that interested in selling the product. It was definitely a second tier product for them and there was only one individual in the entire company who understood the stuff.

Try these guys:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?Item=5-1577-4 http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?UID 06071522333295&catname=&byKeyword=yes&search=linear%20actuator
On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 22:11:59 -0500, Chris Dubea

I think you can buy 80-20 stuff direct from them via ebay. It is their "surplus" outlet (I assumed), but they likely will put something together to your requirements if you can't get there via what they have on auction. Good luck. Joe.