linear actuator?

im looking for something to use to push up one end of a 7" LCD display and i thought id use a linear actuator. Only problem is that all the linear actuators I look at are huge, push 1000 pounds, and go way too far. Is there anything else i could use that is small and inexpensive to get the job done?
Matt (in Vymze.220242$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.tampabay.rr.com) said:
| im looking for something to use to push up one end of a 7" LCD | display and i thought id use a linear actuator. Only problem is | that all the linear actuators I look at are huge, push 1000 pounds, | and go way too far. Is there anything else i could use that is | small and inexpensive to get the job done?
How about using a small gearmotor to drive an allthread leadscrew with limit switches at the extremes of movement?
more data please. a 7" lcd is pretty small. there ought to be a bunch of possible solutions to your need.
does it need to be decorative? how much travel do you require? how must it be activated? what are you building?
mebbe a spring loaded hinge, blum self closer type?
An electric door lock actuator for an automobile.

"Matt" wrote:

Years ago there was a line of small automation type cylinders that would work if they are still made.
They were 1" bore, some used a spring to extend the rod, then you would pressurize the rod end to retract the rod.
There were lots of other options but I have been away this kind of stuff for a long time.
HTH
Lew

circumstance.......mjh
On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 03:38:29 GMT, the opaque "Matt"

"Small" + "inexpensive" should never be used with "linear", Matt. ;)
Forget Leon's solenoid idea. It has a <1" range and is instantaneous, far too quick for raising that much mass even if it could.
Try www.surpluscenter.com , search for "linear". For $35, the #5-1437 looks like it'd work for you with a rail/lever system. Try again next week and there may be more to choose from.
It takes Burden -days- to ship, so plan on 7-10 days overall, UPS.
- Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.) ----------- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

The actuator I got from Graingers is shown on my web page http://www.members.tripod.com/mikehide2/ . Look under desks and check the large desk with the leather paneled top . there is a shot of the elevator mechanism I built , the electric actuator is clearly shown in the center. The linear actuator has an electric motor which drives a screw jack with about 12 + inches of travel if I recall....mjh