Like Craftsman

Reply to
Leon

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 08:40:46 -0600, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

Beauteous. Erm, $18k for a highboy?

-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 09:12:53 -0800 (PST), the infamous " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" scrawled the following:

That's the type of stuff you _make_, not buy.

-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You mean this one?

*I*, personally, don't see 18K... but I can identify with the kind of client who'd consider that doable.

18K ain't what it used to be. You cannot even get a decent used Lexus for that.... and I'd much rather have that high-bye [sic]
Reply to
Robatoy

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 09:48:11 -0800 (PST), the infamous "SonomaProducts.com" scrawled the following:

Agreed. I also dislike the facial dovies. If drawers are dovied, they should be half so the facial wood is intact. It looks broken up and cheapened with full dovies on the front, IMNSHO.

-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Someday. Maybe.

Reply to
keithw86

But, but ... that's pretty much "considered" by many to a trademark of Greene & Greene, albeit rounded ... you heretic, you! :)

Reply to
Swingman

Look closely, those are box joints. Half blind box joints would be quite the trick.

Reply to
CW

I believe you are correct ...

Reply to
Swingman

Not a hard trick, if you use a square-chisel mortiser... in fact, you could do double-blind box joints. The end surface of the mortise isn't very clean, but that's against endgrain anyhow (the glue wouldn't stick there, regardless).

Reply to
whit3rd

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 11:43:03 -0600, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

NO! Take it back, heathen!

I just thumbed through _Greene & Greene Masterworks_ and saw only one example of exposed dovies. It was the timberframe work in the Gamble House.

IMHO, the Thorson sideboard is their finest work of furniture and it's entirely free of visual dovies. Uncles Chuck and Henry are my heroes. They wouldn't do exposed dovies like that. That's reserved for sailor boxes and such. I think they used them more as a physical style than a visual one.

-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 09:58:14 -0800, the infamous "CW" scrawled the following:

A rose, by any other name, still rips the shit out of you with its thorns.

You think half-blind dovetails aren't tricky?

-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Depends how you did them. If by hand, (highly unlikely) then they would be rather tricky. If done by machine, quite easy.

Reply to
CW