Like Craftsman

Page 2 of 2

Yeah, this is a keeper. Excellent craftsmanship but I am not a super fan of the designs. I like the genearl arrangements but some of the details just aren't exactly to my style. The biggest one for me is rounded through tenons! What! come on, isn't that just a bit cheesy? The execution looks flawless, I just don't like the concept.
What I like is the DT joint that attaches the mirror to the dresser as seen from the back. Agreed, it is all about the execution.
Basically I love this detail
http://www.michaelcolca.com/bedroom/medinadresser.asp #

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 09:48:11 -0800 (PST), the infamous

Agreed. I also dislike the facial dovies. If drawers are dovied, they should be half so the facial wood is intact. It looks broken up and cheapened with full dovies on the front, IMNSHO.
-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10
On 1/8/2010 11:12 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

But, but ... that's pretty much "considered" by many to a trademark of Greene & Greene, albeit rounded ... you heretic, you! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

NO! Take it back, heathen!
I just thumbed through _Greene & Greene Masterworks_ and saw only one example of exposed dovies. It was the timberframe work in the Gamble House.
IMHO, the Thorson sideboard is their finest work of furniture and it's entirely free of visual dovies. Uncles Chuck and Henry are my heroes. They wouldn't do exposed dovies like that. That's reserved for sailor boxes and such. I think they used them more as a physical style than a visual one.
-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10
scrawled the following:

Look closely, those are box joints. Half blind box joints would be quite the trick.
On 1/8/2010 11:58 AM, CW wrote:

I believe you are correct ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Not a hard trick, if you use a square-chisel mortiser... in fact, you could do double-blind box joints. The end surface of the mortise isn't very clean, but that's against endgrain anyhow (the glue wouldn't stick there, regardless).
On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 09:58:14 -0800, the infamous "CW"

A rose, by any other name, still rips the shit out of you with its thorns.

You think half-blind dovetails aren't tricky?
-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10

rather tricky. If done by machine, quite easy.

Indeed. Nice.
On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 08:40:46 -0600, the infamous "Leon"

Beauteous. Erm, $18k for a highboy?
-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10

.
You mean this one?
http://www.michaelcolca.com/images/popups/treismanhighboy.jpg
*I*, personally, don't see 18K... but I can identify with the kind of client who'd consider that doable. 18K ain't what it used to be. You cannot even get a decent used Lexus for that.... and I'd much rather have that high-bye [sic]