Like Craftsman

Page 1 of 2
Check out these guys. Sort of an ode to Gustave. Really nice stuff.
http://www.sgcraftsmanfurniture.com /
On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 16:07:42 -0800 (PST), the infamous

Uncle Gus is cussing you now, sir. It's "Gustav", no "e". I know how he feels. (My nick is C'less, remember? ;)
That looks like it was styled after Ellis' work. NICE!
P.S: If you've ever sat in a perfect 90-degree chair, where the seat and back are perpendicular (Shaker, early Mission, etc.), you'll know that it's not at all comfy. Make sure the furniture you build has at least a few degrees of outward tilt 'twixt the two. 95-100 degrees is great.
-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10
Ahhh you fell into my trap. It was a legite post but just this last week I was reading "The Craftsman" the afformentioned Mr. Stickley's publication. Yes, I too have seen it "Gustav" for all these many years. However, on the front cover of Vol. 1 No. 1 it has a copyright notice at the bottom of the cover where it says "Copyright Gustave Stickley". Also on the last page it has his signature near his compass logo and it too clearly has an "e"

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 19:43:58 -0800 (PST), the infamous

1904 is the earliest I could find online, and it says Copyright by Gustav Stickley. http://fwd4.me/AWT
Oh, wait a minute, I found it. You're right, that's what it says, but I'll bet it was a misprint and they shot the typographer for it. http://fwd4.me/AWW I haven't found the E anywhere else I've ever seen. Have you?
-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10
I went back and looked at the signature on the last page of the Vol 1 issue and if you look at the 'e' at the end of Stickley and look at the end of the Gustav-e signature it is clearly, nearly exactly, the same. So in 1901 he was signing it with an e.
I suppose he could have dropped it later for some reason.

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

============================My kind of stuff.
I don't know about anybody else, but I couldn't compete with their pricing unless a major investment in tooling was made.
Lew
On 1/6/2010 9:20 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

The wood was finished nicely...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Obviously sticklers for detail ... the inset drawer fronts are impeccably done.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Yeah, I didn't have any problem with their style or finish; it was beautiful stuff. I could just -feel- the straight backs from looking at them, though. They were too perfect a reproduction.
Swingy, have you ever sat in a repro Stickley rocker? They're beautiful but horribly stiff and straight. Very uncomfortable. My last client was a woodworker. I spent several days over there and always was placed in the Stickley when I sat to talk with him about the deck. He lost 3 fingers to a kickback so he had only his thumb and little finger on his right hand, but he did beautiful work. He didn't like the straight back, either. They're also short by current standards. I think the seat was only 14" or so from the ground.
-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10
I think the first one might be hard to profit on at that price but if you build some patterns, jigs and fixtures and do a few at a time, it should be OK. Of course they are sitting on top of the lumber and probably get their QS oak for $2 a bf.

I think the first one might be hard to profit on at that price but if you build some patterns, jigs and fixtures and do a few at a time, it should be OK. Of course they are sitting on top of the lumber and probably get their QS oak for $2 a bf.
Like most business models will point towards, volume. Making several of an item cuts way down on production labor costs. It takes little more time to immediately cut 20 pieces than one piece, then remeasure, set the saw up again, and cut another piece and so on.
Yep, 20 minutes of blade changing, test cuts, adjustments, etc. and 6 seconds to push the actual piece through the saw.

LOL Yup, the real problem would be to unload 20 "what evers" from inventory.

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Nice looking furniture and very reasonable price -- I couldn't do it for that price, they must have some sort of production line going to get efficient output.
Nice designs

Rob Leatham

Ahh very nice. You may also enjoy,
http://www.michaelcolca.com/

Ouch! That stuff is about 5X what I paid for the Amish mission bedroom and dining room sets, in Cherry. That puts it out of my league, for sure.
On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 09:12:53 -0800 (PST), the infamous

That's the type of stuff you _make_, not buy.
-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10

..
Someday. Maybe.
Yeah, this is a keeper. Excellent craftsmanship but I am not a super fan of the designs. I like the genearl arrangements but some of the details just aren't exactly to my style. The biggest one for me is rounded through tenons! What! come on, isn't that just a bit cheesy? The execution looks flawless, I just don't like the concept.