Ligum Vitae Source?

I have an associate that is looking for a source for Ligum Vitae who can supply and also do some sub machine work.

(I know I could do a Google search for this info, but I'm looking for input from members like B.A.D.)

Reply to
Rumpty

Rumpty asks:

Hard to find. It is becoming rare, and I'm told when it is found, it's incredibly costly.

A quick check of Woodfinder shows that Advantage in Buffalo, NY has it.

Charlie Self

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." Thomas J. Watson

Reply to
Charlie Self

Don't know where you are located, but find a supplier to the wooden boat builders or ship repair shops.

Make sure your wallet is full.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

it is usually about 6.00 a pound or more. it has been put on the endangered list.

is not a hard wood to work with really.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Lawrence Ramsey states:

Not main bearings. Propeller shaft bearings. I don't know if they're used in battleships, or at all anymore, but they have been used just about as long as powered boats and ships have been around. It is tough. It's also waxy and self-lubricating.

Charlie Self

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." Thomas J. Watson

Reply to
Charlie Self

A couple of years ago, I bought some from Edensaw

do not know whether they will work it for you, but they probably know who would. My experience is the stuff is a bummer to handplane due to the extreme interlocking grain, but responds nicely to a card scraper.

Doug at the Puget Sound Woodworking Center had a whole log of the stuff a while back. I believe he has the equipment and skills to process it.

Reply to
Charles Erskine

where ya located? I can get short logs of the stuff but you will have to do the machining. these short logs range from a few inches to over a foot in diameter and up to three feet long give or take. great sizes for turning. skeez

Reply to
skeezics

Reply to
Bill K.

Thanks for all of the suggestions folks, this guy makes metalshaping tools and has sold a Ligum Vitae headed hammer for a few years but lost the supplier. I'll pass on the info.

Regards!

Reply to
Rumpty

don't feel bad even with one of my infills it was pretty much impossible to plane.

Reply to
Steve Knight