LIght duty busway?

Some time ago I worked for a place that had a light duty type of busway for electical service to the machine shop area. I was thinking such a system would be a great way to wire my shop.
It was sort of track lighting track on steroids. IIRC, it was set up for 230 volts with maybe 60 amps capacity per leg. The track ran down the center of the shop. Drops to the machines were made with SJO type rubber insulated cord. The drops connected with a connector that you slid into the track and then turned to lock in place and make the connections. You could set each drop up for 230 or 110, and the connectors accepted cartidge fuses for overcurrent protection sized for each drop. If the machine wasn't right under the track, the drop cord was just run along the ceiling through little loop hooks to the proper location and then dropped down to the machine. It was easy to move things around, and the cords didn't interfere with cleaning the floor or cause tripping hazards.
I haven't had much luck finding anything like this. Searching for busway just finds the heavy duty stuff like Square D's that is very expensive and way overkill. Anyone familiar with this or know what it's called or who makes it? Anyone have such a setup?
TIA,
Paul Franklin snipped-for-privacy@nospam.hotmail.com (you know what to leave out)
Take a look at: http://www.wiremold.com / They will most likely have exactly what you want.
Paul Franklin wrote:

Doubtful. Wiremold is more into making raceways, which isn't what Paul is looking for.
todd

I don't know how expensive it is but here is an option.
http://www.uecorp.com/uecorp/Home/tabid/36/ctl/Edit/mid/371/PRODUCTS/StarlineTrackBusway/tabid/64/Default.aspx
If you find out more details, let us know...it looks interesting.
todd
<snip>

Yeah, that's exactly the idea, thanks! I'll check it out and post a follow-up.
Thanks,
Paul

Give that some thought Paul. That buss only provides one 220V circuit so it will be less flexible than you may be thinking. By the time you install enough of these to accommodate typical shop needs you will likely have a railroad switch yard on your ceiling and a cost to match.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:
> Give that some thought Paul. That buss only provides one 220V circuit so it > will be less flexible than you may be thinking. By the time you install > enough of these to accommodate typical shop needs you will likely have a > railroad switch yard on your ceiling and a cost to match.
Actually, with proper engineering, busway can be very competitive with alternate methods of electrical distribution.
Realize that for most on this list it is a non issue, but one of the biggest advantages of busway is reduced installation labor costs.
Using a center feed terminal box, it is possible to house 4 separate circuits in one busway run.
Just some food for thought.
Lew
Paul Franklin wrote:
Paul Franklin wrote: > Some time ago I worked for a place that had a light duty type of > busway for electical service to the machine shop area. I was thinking > such a system would be a great way to wire my shop.
There was a time in my life that I sold this type of busway by the mile which is actually less than 6,000 ft.
Check with a General Electric distributor for "LW" busway.
Available in 2 Pole or 3 pole, 30A or 60A, 250V or 300V.
A 3P, 30A, 250V will do a neat job.
Lew