Lifting Casters

These are what you need, but they are not available. (Amazon.com product link shortened)26470547&sr=8-6&keywords=spring+loaded+casters#productDetails
But there ARE some good searches on ebay that are in the range.. 40lbs.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055119.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xspring+loaded+casters.TRS0&_nkw=spring+loaded+casters&ghostText=&_sacat=0
Look about 20 or so items down, there are 40lb rated springs, which means you would need to be 160lbs. or 80lbs to engage the front of the steps.
--
Jeff

On 3/15/2015 9:55 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Also on that page is the MSI spring loaded casters.
--
Jeff

There are industrial step platforms that work exactly like that. The casters have springs and the step bottoms out as soon as you put your foot on it.
Ladder casters, side mounted, will do what you want. They can be mounted inside to be out of sight. Under compression, the steps contact the groun and the caster does not roll.

I think this is somewhat what you're going for, albeit less industrial. http://goo.gl/WrqpRs
If you Google "rolling step stool" you'll a bunch of those designed for the kitchen. I'm not sure of the casters could be used for what you're making. But somewhere in between the kitchen and industrial ones has to be a caster you could use on which you could swap out the springs to work perfectly for your particular weight requirements.
--

-MIKE-

Thanks. I'll be building a carpeted, plywood stair to conform to the size of my butt. I'll also be installing side handles to assist lifting myself up the steps. When I get it built I'll put a .jpg of it in ABPW.
wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 11:32:53 -0400, FrozenNorth

The ladder casters I came across in my cursory search were available in various weightings... some with 25 lb springs. If this is too strong of a spring perhaps the spring loaded casters as used on walkers would work... check a DME vendor for replacement casters.
snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

OK, cancel my drill press thingy. I kinda think finding a ready made solution is going to be tough but how about this (I'm assuming you are making the steps)?
1. a piece of ply with standard casters
2. box with bottom, 2-4 bolts through bottom
3. attach #1 to #2 bolts but with compression springs between the two.
4. sides and/or front back of the box almost to the floor
No weight on the box, it rolls easy; add weight and the springs compress allowing the box/step sides and/or front back to hit the floor.
--

dadiOH

I have seen these on the bottom of round step stools. But the problem will be finding them to adjust to the weight you want.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz 1CHUE_enUS575US575&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=spring+loaded+casters&tbm=shop
On Sunday, March 15, 2015 at 8:23:18 AM UTC-7, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Well, one could easily adapt an auto 'air spring' adjustable suspension strut to lower a couple of wheels. Or, just mount a suitable auto helper spring/shock assembly with the right leverage on a pivoting pair of wheels (next to fixed legs). It'll look like it came from a truck undercarriage, of course. Strong design element!

Just search for spring loaded casters.
I just did and there are plenty of different types that do what you want.
--
Jeff