Lifting a Delta Unisaw

You're putting a lot of worry into this. Maybe it might be easier for you to strip the saw as you're able and then hire a couple of movers to do the job for you. A couple of hours decent pay at most should be sufficient. What are you looking at? Maybe $200. Not a great deal. And if they can move huge refrigerators and pianos, they can sure move a table saw for you.

Reply to
Upscale

krw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

*snip*

When I was assembling my Ridgid TS3660, the first parts of assembly were done with the top on the bottom, then once the legs were added the saw was inverted.

Since you're transporting the saw, something similar could probably be done with yours. Depending on how the motor is mounted, it may need to be removed (mine would). You could then invert the saw and put the bulk of the weight on the bottom. If you're worried about straps or something damaging the top, try putting a piece of foam over the top to protect it.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

You can do yourself a huge favor if you buy a electric hoist.

Ignoramus10071

Not so much worry. The floor has to be raised to clear the center beam anyway and the materials have to be carted up to finish the room. I plan on doing all the work I'd need to do to turn it into a "FROG", except the finish flooring. Part of the reason for doing this is to claim a few more months woodworking (a couple of months both winter and summer). One of the heat pumps is already located in this space so extending its coverage shouldn't be difficult.

The point being that a trap door into the garage is a way of getting the materials, both construction and woodworking, up there without tearing up the house.

Reply to
krw

Already have one - still in the box. This has been in the planning stage since before we bought the house. ;-) Though at one point I was thinking of going directly to the FROG stage, I'm now reconsidering. We really don't need more living space. The house is already 2600sq.ft. and only two of us.

Reply to
krw

I came pretty much assembled, except for the wings and extension table.

As others pointed out, the motor is likely too much of a PITA to remove. Your idea of hoisting it inverted is a good one though. Removing the top would eliminate any chance of warping and hoisting it inverted would put the center of mass at the bottom.

Reply to
krw

IF going very far, hanging on a sling, could very well be a problem. Inverted gives you a place for "C" clamps, through short sling loops. Not just any C clamp, stout ones, tight. Keep the load in line with the straps, don't stress the screw, C clamp T handle out board of load. DO NOT jerk the load, smooth and steady. I've done this many times, no problems, but, as I said, I've done this many times. Had a good teacher.

If for ANY reason you don't like the idea, do not do it. I have 40 years of moving things. I use a HF engin hoist.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

Two good legitimate approaches:

  1. Turn the saw upside down. Put on pallet or slide onto a blanket or cardboard. I have a good friend who is a cabinet maker who takes his unisaw to work in his van this way quite normally.

  1. Take the top off. Do NOT sling or load by the trunnions. Sling or carry by the case.

Reply to
DanG

You can see by this thread that many here are way overcomplicating this. It was sugested that you remove the table and screw lifting eyes int the table mounting holes. Good forged lifting eyes in the holes will suppoort the saw and two guys riding on it. Fast, easy and safe. Make it only as complicated as it has to be. Anything more is a waste of time.

Reply to
CW