Life of collet?

Had spiral 1/2" bit play ARHA in a Makita 3612BR today. Bought 5/93 but surprised at slipping which brings the question is there a nominal/typical lifespan for them? Do solid carbide bits have a tendency to slip?

Have you cleaned the collet and or shank since you've owned them? There is some periodic maintenance required to keep everything operating normally.
You probably know this but I have to ask, did you make sure that it was not bottomed out when you put it in the collet? If that's not he problem, sawdust or other substances in the collet will cause problems. Also, measure the shank. Undersize shanks are not unheard of.

I bottom and pull out about 1/8" ALWAYS after the Crapsman ARHA went through 3/4" stock. Frank mentioned cleaning but it hasn't been done as I'm unsure of material and steps. Suppose alcohol or acetone could be first steps and don't see how thet would hurt. Will do today, thanks Frank.

I had a similar problem with slippage in a different brand of router. One of the fingers in the collet had fractured (and only became obvious when I removed the nut and looked closely). That router had had a lot of use. Cheers, JG
Bob Bowles wrote:

Spiral bits are screws. There are constantly being pulled out of the collet when in contact with the work. Down spirals are being pushed up. If the collet is loose, (probably at a torque safe for most cutters), they will pull out! The hidden vector, notwithstanding, they are risky tool bits. http://www.patwarner.com (Routers) **************************************************

I regard collets as consumables and replace them every couple of years.
Phil