life of a tree revealed in the rings

Page 4 of 4
On 01/10/2016 9:53 AM, Leon wrote: ...

Yes, Leon, I shouldn't let myself get riled, but I do hate for actual misinformation to be unchallenged in rec.woodworking simply for posterity if nothing else (and, if there were really something to the claim it'd be nice to know what it _really_ was that tried to report; often it is so that a research conclusion is badly misstated as to what that conclusion really was).
On 01/10/2016 10:31 AM, dpb wrote:

And, of course, even if it were true (which I truly doubt), I'm not going to start proclaiming it based on the above assertions without evidence of what it is that is actually being proclaimed...otoh, if that were to be made manifest, then I'd be more than happy to have been educated on the specific point and glad to proselytize it where it were to be significant and in consonance with the then-current discussion. :)

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 09:45:38 -0600

do some searching that is how i found it you could hire someone I guess too
On 01/13/2016 12:47 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

If you did, you could certainly post the result.
I did do some searching and found _nothing_ even close to the specific claim.
So, again, if you want to make a convert, provide the material. As said, if it's really so, I'd like to know how and where.

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 12:53:01 -0600

just keep trying that is the best thing to do
or be content to believe what you want
On 01/13/2016 1:06 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

Nonsense. You're just blowin' smoke 'cuz you know it ain't so but can't admit it.
<plonk>

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 13:20:36 -0600

this is good sign if you could do this you should be able to perform a simple search
but the insults are the sign of a failure on your part
On 01/13/2016 1:27 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

OK, I'll wait for just one more attempt. No insult intended, just perception of fact that you have no real information to impart.
_IF_ you did such a search successfully it should take you less time to reenter the string for which you found the desired info and post a result or _at_a_minimum_ post the winning search string that uncovered the elusive tidbit than you've taken otherwise to respond with nothing.
Or, even failing that, provide in your own words the physiology of botanic growth that can produce this phenomenon of a single growth ring taking "decades" to form such that it supposedly is a tenet of dendrochronology but somehow isn't mentioned in any summary of tenets or limitations of the field I can find.
I've outlined my understanding of how there could possibly be an _additional_ one here and there owing to climatic variation inducing an additional growth/dormant cycle in a given calendar year and have hypothesized the narrowness or even absence of one now and again but I really can not see how there could be such a case as to take ten years or more for a given growth cycle to have occurred frequently enough it would be a regular feature to be accounted for in the field.
If you can fill me in on what I'm missing, I'm all ears (or eyes :) )...
On 1/13/2016 1:27 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

Actually not being able to find something that does not exist is not a failure.
Failure to produce proof what you think you have seen is a failure.