Lie Nielson Block plane adjustment

Hi,

Does the Lie Nielson Adjustable throat block plane have a Norris style blade adjustment? If not how do you adjust the blade side to side? I know that the Veritas block plane does have the Norris style of adjuster and I am trying to compare the Veritas and Lie Nielson planes.

Thanks, Peter

Reply to
petermichaux

It has no lateral adjustment. I use granite surface with paper under the sole or eyeball it either works well for me. I'm pretty new to using planes but I find I reach for the LN-140RH more than 60 1/2. I'd suggest going to

and search the hand tools archive lotta really great info there on planes Joey

Reply to
joey

I have no comparison,

I have the Veritas labp and it is a great plane. The blade adjuster sticking out the back as a knob moves the blade out of and back into the mouth, it also skews the blade with a side to side movement. Under the lever cap is the 110/120 style tightening wheel made of brass, it is two pieced swivel so it will not skew the blade when in use, and it does not.

It works quite excellent. The plane is heavy and thick and so is the A2 blade. The machining is accurately perfect, the sole is perfectly flat compared to a new Stanley and many used old ones that were never tuned before use.

It is a modern design so it is not quite as classic looking as the Lie-Nielson, but it is only a "look", no doubt designed on a computer. I have no experience with any Lie-Nielson plane but I highly recommend the Veritas considering features for price and the quality of manufacture.

It was the folks in this NG that revealed Lee Valley and Veritas to me, the same folks that recommended them, and I can only fully agree.

Reply to
AAvK

Not sure what you're asking that the photographs don't answer.

George

IMHO the L-N doesn't really need a lateral adjustment - there is little play between the body and blade, and the clamping of the blade is rock tight especially when compared to the old Stanley types. All an adjuster would do is unnecessarily complicate it. To me the real difference between the two is their width - Veritas is a 1 5/8" blade where as the L-N is the more traditional 1 3/8". This makes for a narrower body, a more comfortable plane to use, and better for small hands. Yes the L-N is ~$50 more, but over the life of this plane I think it's better to find the one that will more than less.

HTH, Jeffo

Reply to
Jeffo