Lie-Nielson 60 1/2 Rabbet Block Plane

I have the Veritas medium shoulder plane (which is great) and the Veritas bullnose plane (which I have not used as much as I thought I would). The Lie-Nielson 60 1/2 seems like a real nice way to trim tenons without using a medium shoulder plane and low angle block. I could do both jobs (I think) with just the 60 1/2.

However, I have made mistakes in my choices before. Those of you that own Lie-Nielson 60 1/2 Rabbet Block Planes, what do you think of them? Do they get used where you might have used a medium shoulder plane and a regular block plane in combo?

Here is a reference to the 60 1/2

I find a positive response, then my next question would be: Why hasn't Veritas made one?

Reply to
eganders

I don't own a LN plane "yet", I got the LV-V LABP but if I were to cut across grain, which is usual on a tenon, I'd get a good Stanley 140 on eBay or get the LN version, side wall of the sole is removable so the blade is flush to either tenon or tenon cheeks, where with the rabbet block the cutter is not skewed flat, yet flush to the outside walls of the sole. Flat skewed is better for "Across" the grain. Skew any other block's blade and it is not flat with it's sole. I think Veritas needs to make their own 140 type, I'd buy it.

?ViewItem&item=6181986388

Reply to
AAvK

Mmmm. You have certainly provided some interesting information, however, it just muddys up the water more. The skew does look like a practical improvement for sizing a tenon. I have to think of why I would go for a 60 1/2 now if the 140 is available. What can a 60 1/2 do that the 140 can't?

Reply to
eganders

I've got one of the LNs, and I use it to trim cheeks, and before the LV shoulder, even a shoulder or two. With the stability of the blade hold-down and the ability of the blade to hold an edge, I haven't found the lack of skew to be a problem. It's a nice plane, but not hand-friendly like the LV blocks. Still, I find myself using it occasionally as a block because of the generous weight and thick iron. Good plane to rabbet with once you've scribed and fenced, should you want to.

Reply to
George

With mine, when trimming on tenons and cheeks I discovered "done with a cut on the push" and then "release off the wood" and then SLAM, my hands get nicked bloody. That Veritas ball tail and front knob will come in handy.

Reply to
AAvK

Nothing except the cutter is 1/8" narrower, slightly less resistance but the skew angle of the 140 compensates for that.

140 is one sided where the side wall is removable and they make them in left and right. The skew simply makes it easier to cut across grain, and me being right handed I can use the right handed plane in either direction, just a matter of applying skill, pushing or pulling.

There is also the rabbeting block plane which is two sided, and will cut flush up against a 90º angled wall of wood on both sides of the plane. But it will be harder to do not being skewed.

The LN 60-1/2 has a narrow cutter of 1-3/8" width as a low angle block which is proper. Primary purpose is to reduce resistance while trimming down end grain which is tough to do. I think the 140's skew cutter compensates for that simply by being skewed, it will have more of a slicing angle and act as such. The 140 cutter is 1-1/2" wide, the Veritas

1-5/8".

The 140 also comes with a fence and the option of a cutting nicker. The Veritas has the option of the ball tail handle and large front knob and a chamfer attachment (all of which I will buy). The LN 60-1/2 has no options besides altering the sole in one way. The 140 is also low angle with the cutter bedded at 12º, but no option for handles, which there should be, that would be awesome.

Cripes! With the way my brain is, I went crazy with THIS reply!

Reply to
AAvK