Lie-Nielsen or Veritas

Page 3 of 3

I imagine most Canadians view Pat Buchanan as being something of a horse's behind.
If it helps any... so do most Americans.
--
Regards,
On 18/12/2006 8:12 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

Sure, that's the point I was trying to make. There's horse's behinds everywhere, including 1 or 2 in Canada. We mostly ignore ours too.
The vast majority of Canadians are much too polite to engage in the kind of "virulent rhetoric against the US" the OP was talking about :-)

I used to work with a Canadian fellow who referred to one of your former PMs as "Cretin". :-)

I've noticed that. I've vacationed in Canada a number of times -- my wife and I honeymooned in Jasper Nat'l Park, for example -- and have *never* encountered rudeness there, except, I'm sorry to say, from other Americans. Just the same, I'm sure you have your share of volatile and voluble lunatics, just as we do.
--
Regards,

Still remember the cafe in Thunder Bay where the wife and I stopped for lunch. Everyone was speaking English when we came in, then switched to French. So, what the hell, we started conversing in Russian. They appeared somewhat annoyed, but went back to English thereafter.
Wouldn't have worked in the prairie provinces....
Why the flame? All I suggested was another option - just to open up the thinking a little. My points are all valid - just as yours are. So what? YMMV is all I come away with from your comments ...
B A R R Y wrote:

Flame? None-intended! <G>
I'm very sorry if you take two-way discussion as a flame.
Having been down the down you mentioned, I just thought it deserved follow-up, especially the part about passing the tools down.

I forgot to mention, that counterpoint does not invalidate your points at all!
Sorry, again...
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Make it a couple. The Veritas low angle block for starters, because it's probably the most useful single plane-like tool you'll ever find, especially if you're not regularly planing stuff.
For a bench plane, I'd suggest the Veritas #5. A #5 is a better general purpose plane than a #4. Also old #4's really do grow on trees. If you want a small plane for taking to a door rather than benchwork, think about a #3 instead.
I prefer the Veritas design to the L-N and there's nothing between them in build quality. L-N are prettier and more traditional, but I think the Veritas adjuster design is just better thought out than Stanley's.
If you want a smoother later, it needs to be a separate plane just so you can sharpen and tune it differently. A #4 1/2 would be good here, or a Steve Knight. Also by that time you're probably due for a scrub plane (cheap old Stanley #4, rersharpened).
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

As you will no doubt be advised
Veritas adjustable throat block plane for the needs you described though their regular block plane would do fine as well.
The LN "block/rabbet/rebate plane doesn't need an adjustable throat - it's tight out of the box - and sharp. Does what the Veritas can do PLUS, because the sides of the body are open at the iron, and the iron sticks out a few thousandths on both sides, it's also nice for tuning tenon faces - and shoulders (the V can't do shoulders - but they make THREE nice shoulder planes that give you multiple holding position AND set screws to keep the iron where you put it, even if you take it out for sharpening - no futzing around after sharpening. They also work very nicely thank you very much.
But to be honest, the stanley block plane I picked up at a flea market for around $10 will do what you want to use it for - IF you sharpen the iron. Not as flashy - but it'll do just fine. Then when you win the lottery . . .
charlie b