Lie-Nielsen or Veritas

Page 2 of 3

(snip)

When we beat the staff, we do it in a polite manner ...
That's the right way, eh?
;)

Sort of like asking what is better, steak or prime rib. Both are good. I've used an L-N plane and I bought a Veritas. Both are excellent so check out to see if there is some small detail that happens to suit you better, be it the feel in your hand or the color of the box it comes in.
Another option is to buy an antique Stanley on the internet. Typically, you can find an awfully good user plane for modest dollars. Then when your tools are handed down to another generation it will be worth a whole lot more than you paid for it. And the bargain hunting is half of the fun ...
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

DIYGUY wrote:

And then spend more overall than the Veritas getting it comparable, by replacing the iron, missing or broken wooden parts, and possibly the chipbreaker. Old planes are easy to find cheap. Old planes that haven't been messed up (mouths widened, parts broken, holes dripped, dropped and cracked) are NOT easy to find cheap. Old planes in excellent to mint condition usually sell for ridiculous prices, based on user utility.

Who says an LN tool won't be? Some LN limited runs are already collectable. Maybe Veritas planes might also be worth something, who knows? Both are definitely suitable for handing down and capable of lasting generations. If you're going to really _use_ the Stanley to actually work wood, your fettling and replacing poor or broken parts will probably destroy any collectible value.
From a user's standpoint, I think modern Lie-Neilsen and Veritas planes are BETTER than many Stanley tools _ever_ were.
And the bargain hunting

I'll give you that, if that's your thing. <G>
I have many antique Stanley planes. After I've installed Hock, Veritas, or LN irons, and spent many hours tuning them, they work well, but they still aren't as good as an LN, and few are as good as a new Veritas.
B A R R Y wrote: [snip]

At the rate folks are going to Canada for their planes, LN may be out of business as soon and as LN himself gets too old maybe he'll call it quits or sell it to somebody less capable or to, oh my a foreign company....Then they would most definitely be collectibles.
I care less about supporting Canadian, who've trash mouthed the US a little too much for my taste, than helping a US company. There's better ways of changing American opinion than insulting us.
On 15 Dec 2006 14:43:56 -0800, "Never Enough Money"

Many Americans trash mouth the US. <G>
How do you know any particular American company is owned by someone who shares your political views?

Yep, and I don't like them. However many Americans do not trash Canada.

I was expressing patriotism, not a political view.
On 15 Dec 2006 15:59:11 -0800, "Never Enough Money"

Patriotism _is_ political.
Dictionary says:
Main Entry: politics Pronunciation: 'p-l&-"tiks Function: noun plural but singular or plural in construction Etymology: Greek politika, from neuter plural of politikos political 1 a : the art or science of government b : the art or science concerned with guiding or influencing governmental policy c : the art or science concerned with winning and holding control over a government 2 : political actions, practices, or policies 3 a : political affairs or business; especially : competition between competing interest groups or individuals for power and leadership (as in a government) b : political life especially as a principal activity or profession c : political activities characterized by artful and often dishonest practices 4 : the political opinions or sympathies of a person 5 a : the total complex of relations between people living in society b : relations or conduct in a particular area of experience especially as seen or dealt with from a political point of view <office politics> <ethnic politics>
Patriotism is love of one's country. Seems like a stretch to say patriotism is political, but maybe 3a applies, maybe.

On 15 Dec 2006 16:22:18 -0800, "Never Enough Money"

Don't forget this:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriotism>
I'll just have to leave you with your belief that patriotism isn't political. I don't think patriotism is always bad, but I think it's always political. This is true even when I agree and also feel patriotic. <G>
Never Enough Money wrote:

Patriotism is the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons. Bertrand Russell
Patriots always talk of dying for their country but never of killing for their country. Bertrand Russell
Couldn't resist ... it looked too much like temptation.
Bill
Virus Database (VPS): 0659-1, 12/16/2006

And 99% of canadians don't trash the USA. All you hear are the 1% of loudmouths. No country has the exclusive on loudmouths.
scott
On 15/12/2006 6:59 PM, Never Enough Money wrote:

And many do. What's your point?
If you read back trough the trhead of postings the meaning should be more obvious. I know some of these postings become less meaningful as the fragment and ramble on.
To summarize, I'm simply angry at the Canadian because of the wel publicised protest and virulent rhetoric against the US. It's ok to disagree and protest but it's not the best way to change American public opinion. I simply have never ever heard any American bad-mounth Canada. May be you have. I have not.
This whole thing about lumber imports seems to be disingenuos since Canada retaliates by sellling prescription drugs undercutting the American drug companies -- the companies that invented the drug in the first place taking on huge risks for the potential of huge profits.
Lastly, and more personal, I am being laid off because Canada subsidizes R&D so my multi-national company thinks it's cheaper to move my job to Montreal (one of my favorite cities, btw). By itself that might be ok but, I'm one of the last to be laid off. The other thousand or so laid off engineers are marveling at how the Canadian group has completely botched the projects, made them years behind and lost market share. Unfortunately our European owners haven't figure that out because they only look at hourly rate.
So my point is -- buy American first, then buy from countries that actually like us.

This is generally the vocal minority, not the average guy ont he street. Condeming an entire country is kind of silly and shortseighted.

Northing wrong with profits, but other countries, not just Canada, manage to sell the drugs at lower prices. If the US drug companies soldl them to other countries at the same price as they do to us, perhaps the balance would be different. Check out hte middlement along the way also, not just hte drug companies.

Sorry to hear you are being laid of, but it is a European company making the decision so you blame Canada?. Go to work for an American company. They don't do things like that do they?
[snip] .Northing wrong with profits, but other countries, not just Canada, manage to

There is something wrong when other sell cheaper because of regulation (or they simply copy the invention) and force the Americans to pay for the R&D.

But neither is the case with Canada. They buy the drugs far cheaper, therefore they can sell them cheaper. American drug companies sell to Americans at a far higher price than they do elsewhere.
I have a Stanley #4. Its old; it doesn't look antique. I use it. Its all there, and 100% functional. Is it worth something? Have I heard out of the side of my ear that Stanley (#4) might be worth something. Why? .
-
Never Enough Money wrote:

True that ... but which regulations are wrong? The foreign companies cannot compel American companies to sell them drugs below cost so I gotta think that the pharma companies are still making a profit off foreign sales ... but just aren't able to gouge them as effectively as they are able to gouge Americans.
When American companies gouge American citizens I have a hard time believing that foreign regulations play a large role in the overall problem.
Virus Database (VPS): 0659-1, 12/16/2006
On 16/12/2006 9:15 AM, Never Enough Money wrote:

4 words. Pat Buchanan. Soviet Canuckistan. Most Canuckistanians just laugh at sh*t like that, but it was hardly intended as a compliment. You should probably lighten up and likewise laugh at the anti-Murrican stuff that comes out of Canuckistan.