lie neilsen hand plane

Being a cheap bastud and a used tool junkie, I feel obliged to point out that in my experience, I would have to bat around .200 on used hand planes to make it worth buying new. Especially when compared to Lie Neilsen new prices.

I can buy five No 7. jointer planes at $70 a piece off Ebay for the price of a new Lie Neilsen. You do take your chances, but chances are you will come away with a very good tool before you spend Lie Neilsen money. You can further increase your chances by buying from a reputable used hand plane dealer.

I can't comment on how much the frustration of buying a lemon is worth to you. But it warms the cheapest cockels of my heart to know that I could buy a brand spanking new replacement for every one of those lemons with the money I saved.

That's my .01 cent worth. (Too cheap to give .02 cents worth)

Neil

Reply to
Neil

Everyone look for my forthcoming business I'm going to start. In light of some of the replies here I know I can retire selling old user Stanley planes for profit. If $60-90 is "going rate" I'm going to make a fortune! Maybe its my area I don't know but soon I will have a website up with old tools on it for sale! Cant wait....Now old Stanley chisels are another story. I have had NO luck at all finding good user everlasting Stanleys.

Jim

Reply to
James D. Kountz

seller:

AArDvarK

"Tombo" wrote

: Now I think I want a bigger beast for smoothing and jointing. : Ive been looking on ebay at old stanley planes (cheap) as a : possibility or would I be better off buying a new (expensive) : Lie Nielsen.

A glance at my web site - Planing Notes - Coping With Gnarly Grain might help Tombo to come to an economical decision.

Jeff G

-- Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK Email address is username@ISP username is amgron ISP is clara.co.uk Website

Jeff Gorman

And there you are! Well when I am set up and have my chisels I am going to use your site to learn to chop out some joints definitely. Incredibly nice offering, thank you.

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

I'm guessing you are referring to my post about buying a foreplane. If so, please note that I recommended that he go through a

*reputable* online dealer. Yes, it will be priced higher than the stuff you see on Ebay, but you will get a tool that you know will be in good condition, and you will have a seller who will back up the sale.

Ebay can be a crapshoot; I picked up a lovely type 12 #7 for $65 there, but I've heard too many horror stories about people buying planes that turned out to be awful. If you are a newbie who doesn't live in an area where oldtools can be easily found, it is definitely worth your money to pay a bit more to get something you know will be good.

BTW, if you think you can "retire selling old user Stanley planes for profit", I suggest you contact a fellow named Patrick Leach. He'll give you a quick dose of reality.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

I live in an area of West Texas that does not have very many people in it. In fact the town I live in was not even established 120 years ago. The ability to go to estate sales an pick up vintage tools is very limited because there are few estates that even existed in the 1900 - 1920 time frame. Rarely will you find anything for sale at an estate auction that isn't 1950's junk. The people, like myself, in this area of the country are stuck with the "going rate" of sales on ebay and at other internet tool dealers if they want quality Stanley planes and other vintage tools.

Reply to
Joe Nation

That doesn't narrow it down much, now does it? Don't yall have First Monday? Head for the nearest town that has it.

For those who've never had the pleasure, driving acrost west Texas isn't a vacation; it's a career.

Hook 'em,

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

It has always been difficult to convince folks from West Texas that the earth is round.

Been there, done that!

Jack Flatley Jacksonville, Florida

Reply to
John Flatley

country around. Also lots of lakes within short distances for fishing and boating. San Angelo and Lake Nasworthy(sp?) at that time was nice.

Reply to
Paul O.

As someone whose daughter is going to college at Texas Tech, I am convinced that West Texas is why gawd invented cruise control.

As for the previous suggestion that we look for "First Mondays" or "FMM" down here ... well, in the seven years I've been looking for oldtools down here (Wimberley area), I can honestly say that I've gotten one or two good deals. Mostly you get folks who think that saws and planes are "antiques" just made for displaying to give that "rustic charm" to your country decor. The few folks I've run across who actually know something about the tools charge about on par with (or slightly higher than) the reputable online dealers I have dealt with.

The flea markets I've been to have been absolutely horrible; rusty Handyman and Craftsman planes with knobs, totes or frogs missing, yet priced as if they were in mint condition. The good tools are even worse.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

Well, I bought a #5 Bailey in the big tent in Roundtop one year for $35. It is as sweet as can be. The rosewood handle just lies in your hand, begging to be caressed like a lovesick puppy. The iron sings as it performs it's duty on miscreant piece of wood. It'll produce shavings like a Steve Knight smoother. (There's a couple of his planes in there too, but they come out when needed.) Then I found out it is a #7 (1893-1899) in excellent condition, and it immediately went into a wall display case.

Go figure. Sigh . . . . . .

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

It's also why radar detectors were invented. Those West Texas towns have speed traps as the largest item on their income statement. I made the trips for four years without getting stopped but sure came close several times. I know many others who weren't so fortunate.

RB

Reply to
RB

That's still a nice driveby. :-)

I have gotten a couple of good deals down here, but they are few and far between. Little things like getting a crispy SW-era #80 for $20. Or a huge Ohio Tools wooden jointer for $40. But the Stanleys I normally run across are pretty much in the normal range of prices I see from the online dealers.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

Joe Nation wrote in news:4093facb$1 snipped-for-privacy@news.wcc.net:

Been there, done that, Joe. I feel for you. I used to live in Monahans (36 years), but moved to the Hill Country 5 years ago. The only thing I regret is taking so long to get here.

Reply to
Michael Burton

Conan The Librarian wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I must have been to the same flea markets as you. I did however find a beautiful Stanley #8 Type 9 for $20.00 in one of our antique/junk stores. It was pretty dirty when I got it and didn't look good at first glance, but I look close in the store and decided it was just gunk on the plane and bought it.

Reply to
Michael Burton