lie neilsen hand plane

Page 2 of 2
I'd buy used Stanleys, but from a reputable dealer and not from Ebay. I purchased three such planes a few months ago for near-ebay prices. The difference was that I knew what I was getting and they came already tuned and sharp. My girlfriend bought me a new Stanley block plane for my birthday which is complete CRAP, although I still use it when she's around. For harder-to-find items like block planes, I buy LN or LV. Good luck.
Ed

Everyone look for my forthcoming business I'm going to start. In light of some of the replies here I know I can retire selling old user Stanley planes for profit. If $60-90 is "going rate" I'm going to make a fortune! Maybe its my area I don't know but soon I will have a website up with old tools on it for sale! Cant wait....Now old Stanley chisels are another story. I have had NO luck at all finding good user everlasting Stanleys.
Jim

seller:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&userid=tmjtx8940&sort=3&rows%&since=-1&rd=1

I'm guessing you are referring to my post about buying a foreplane. If so, please note that I recommended that he go through a *reputable* online dealer. Yes, it will be priced higher than the stuff you see on Ebay, but you will get a tool that you know will be in good condition, and you will have a seller who will back up the sale.
Ebay can be a crapshoot; I picked up a lovely type 12 #7 for $65 there, but I've heard too many horror stories about people buying planes that turned out to be awful. If you are a newbie who doesn't live in an area where oldtools can be easily found, it is definitely worth your money to pay a bit more to get something you know will be good.
BTW, if you think you can "retire selling old user Stanley planes for profit", I suggest you contact a fellow named Patrick Leach. He'll give you a quick dose of reality.
Chuck Vance
I live in an area of West Texas that does not have very many people in it. In fact the town I live in was not even established 120 years ago. The ability to go to estate sales an pick up vintage tools is very limited because there are few estates that even existed in the 1900 - 1920 time frame. Rarely will you find anything for sale at an estate auction that isn't 1950's junk. The people, like myself, in this area of the country are stuck with the "going rate" of sales on ebay and at other internet tool dealers if they want quality Stanley planes and other vintage tools.

That doesn't narrow it down much, now does it? Don't yall have First Monday? Head for the nearest town that has it.
For those who've never had the pleasure, driving acrost west Texas isn't a vacation; it's a career.
Hook 'em,
--
"Keep your ass behind you."

It has always been difficult to convince folks from West Texas that the earth is round.
Been there, done that!
Jack Flatley Jacksonville, Florida

boating. San Angelo and Lake Nasworthy(sp?) at that time was nice.
--
Paul O.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

As someone whose daughter is going to college at Texas Tech, I am convinced that West Texas is why gawd invented cruise control.
As for the previous suggestion that we look for "First Mondays" or "FMM" down here ... well, in the seven years I've been looking for oldtools down here (Wimberley area), I can honestly say that I've gotten one or two good deals. Mostly you get folks who think that saws and planes are "antiques" just made for displaying to give that "rustic charm" to your country decor. The few folks I've run across who actually know something about the tools charge about on par with (or slightly higher than) the reputable online dealers I have dealt with.
The flea markets I've been to have been absolutely horrible; rusty Handyman and Craftsman planes with knobs, totes or frogs missing, yet priced as if they were in mint condition. The good tools are even worse.
Chuck Vance
Well, I bought a #5 Bailey in the big tent in Roundtop one year for $35. It is as sweet as can be. The rosewood handle just lies in your hand, begging to be caressed like a lovesick puppy. The iron sings as it performs it's duty on miscreant piece of wood. It'll produce shavings like a Steve Knight smoother. (There's a couple of his planes in there too, but they come out when needed.) Then I found out it is a #7 (1893-1899) in excellent condition, and it immediately went into a wall display case.
Go figure. Sigh . . . . . .

That's still a nice driveby. :-)
I have gotten a couple of good deals down here, but they are few and far between. Little things like getting a crispy SW-era #80 for $20. Or a huge Ohio Tools wooden jointer for $40. But the Stanleys I normally run across are pretty much in the normal range of prices I see from the online dealers.
Chuck Vance
Conan The Librarian wrote:

have speed traps as the largest item on their income statement. I made the trips for four years without getting stopped but sure came close several times. I know many others who weren't so fortunate.
RB

Conan The Librarian wrote in

beautiful Stanley #8 Type 9 for $20.00 in one of our antique/junk stores. It was pretty dirty when I got it and didn't look good at first glance, but I look close in the store and decided it was just gunk on the plane and bought it.
--
Michael Burton
Thunderbird Hardwoods

(36 years), but moved to the Hill Country 5 years ago. The only thing I regret is taking so long to get here. <grin>
--
Michael Burton
Thunderbird Hardwoods