Licensed electrician ?

Happens a lot. they simply don't know what they are talking about.

Reply to
CW

What I see is :

  1. documentation on the person kept in the file - just in case...
  2. Tax / a.k.a. fee paid.
  3. if licensed this way - at least the customer in trouble can call the city and get some help - or the DA or ....

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

65 ILCS 5 11-37-1 through -4 says *you* don't know what you're talking about.

In Illinois electrician are licensed by the municipality.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

This also is the way it is in chicago . My boss passed the test and we work for him.Some years back the union was pushing for testing and license for the electricans but did not make it Mark H.

Reply to
Union 134

Chicago, L A, New York City and others are considered high fire hazard zones. That's the reason for the ridged rules and wiring methods. If you make a mistake in your country home, You might also burn down your garage... In crowded cities lots of lives and real-estate are at risk. The IBEW has an acceptable apprentice program. Hmmm. I guess that's better than just reading a book.

Reply to
Chipper Wood

In the province of British Columbia Canada as well as most or all of the other provinces I believe that in order to obtain a licence as a Electrician you must first complete a 4 or 5 year apprenticeship, write and pass a IP (inter-provincial red seal) test and then pay money to the licencing board to obtain your Electricians License. Thas is pretty standard for most trades in Canada ie: Welding, steel fabrication, machineing/tool&die, millwright-industrial mechanic, auto mechanic/heavy duty-diesel tech,aircraft maintenance engineer, carpentry ect. ect.

Reply to
onsitewelding

Since most fires are caused on the user side of the receptacles by extension cords and space heaters I don't see how pipe in the wall is making you safer. By making renovation so much more expensive, by banning fished cable, they are actually encouraging an extension cord instead of just installing another circuit.

Reply to
Greg

Conduit in the walls!!!!!! Holy Crap, Batman! My house was built 63 years ago with BX in the walls. Chicago ought to get with the times. Let's get 'em to move up to the 1940's.

Reply to
Lazarus Long

Mea Culpa!!!!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Reply to
Mark L.

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 01:21:37 GMT, "onsitewelding" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

And in Oz, we are theoretically not even allowed to change a fuse without a licensed electrician, licensed as shown below. In fact a registered electrician, apprenticed and diploma(ed), still has to get a ticket" to operate independently. He can work for a licensed leccy or as an employee in-house, but not for himself.

Reply to
Old Nick

So, what's next in the nanny states, requiring an on-site licensed electrician to plug things in or change light bulbs? ... or maybe go the whole way and require one to even switch on the power to any device.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 19:49:40 GMT, Mark & Juanita vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

It certainly feels that way.

I actually am not sure how much is nanny state, and how much industry power. People were talking of the "Union ticket" being needed.

Reply to
Old Nick