Library Table

My parents have had an old library table in their basement since I was a kid. It's similar to a desk but is made so that a person can sit on either side of it, no modesty panel. It has book shelves on the ends. I always thought it would be an ideal chess table. I could embed my slate chess board in the surface and the players could sit on either side. Well, I recently took a look at it and decided it can't be saved so I'd like to find plans to make one but I'm not having any luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction? If not, I'll try to use what's left of the table to develop my own plan.
Thanks.

No need to be overly concerned. The statue of limitations has probably run out by now and they won't be prosecuted if the library finds out.

yeah, but the overdue book fines for the books in the shelves must be tremendous.
-j
I didn't know statues could run. I think you mean "statute".