Lexan for jigs

Actually Lexan (Polycarbonate) is much softer than acrylics like Plexiglass. That is what gives it its impact resistancs, down side is at does scratch much easier than Plexiglass.

Also cost about 2X Acrylic, 1/4" thk is around $10.00 sq/ft.

Kevin

Reply to
Kgorden

Ahhh yes... the acrylic/Lexan mistaken identity. A simple flame test tells the difference. Google it, because my lawyer advises against sayng too much *G*

Lexan is good enough for jet-fighter canopies, I'm told.

But the whole discussion is moot because all you need to do is call for a price on Lexan.

I have built many a display case for a variety of jewelry stores, and often used Lexan with a sheet of glass on top (scratch restance and hammer resistance in an affordable sandwich).

In my solid surface fabrication, I make a lot of jigs/patterns/templates, and I invariably use MDF and Baltic Birch...OR..solid surface left-overs.

My favourite jig material is 1/2" phenolic, which can be bought with laminate already attached.

Nothing quite like it.

Robatoy

I see. Either you don't know what you are talking about or you're incredibly inept.

Reply to
CW

This coming from a top poster?

Lexan is shatter resistant, not shatter proof. I PERSONALLY had a peice of

3mm lexan fly apart in many small peices. Maybe you don't consider that shattering, but I do. I also have had simular experiences with plexiglass, which should not come as a suprise.

Regardless, there is no reason to be an asshole, so welcome to my killfile.

Reply to
TBM

The correct way, of course.

Glad I don't work around you. Takes talent.

Reply to
CW

I don't have any experience with Lexan, but another poster in this thread also experienced a peice of lexan shattering in a CMS. Possible they are confusing Plexiglass with lexan, it's a common misperception. What is the reason for the snarkiness?

Reply to
Locutus

Well, there's at least one historically (and consistently) misinformed individual so confused, and this one was number two. All after some very knowledgable responses to the OP indicating the difference between polycarbonate and acrylic and how it is exceedingly unlikely to be able to duplicate the effect on one in the other. I get testy about them, too. Makes me want to give them their sign.

Reply to
LRod

Lexan is good stuff. The down side is that 1/4 inch is really flexible so you would have to back it up with the plywood anyway. Cost is also an issue unless you have it scrap.

Others have mentioned shattering. If you avoid sharp inside corners impact resistance goes through the roof.

Poly carbonate is rather soft and will scratch easily. They do make a scratch resistant grade but it is usually used for glazing.

One thing that does work great for jigs is Formica laminated wood/MDF/particle board. The particle board is the last choice except for cost if you can get sink cutouts cheap and or free. Good till you drop it or get it wet.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

the best thing I've found, just from working with my own shop scrap is

1/4" melamine coated MDF.
Reply to
bridgerfafc

ROTFLMAO I never heard of Bill Engvall and his "Here's your sign" bit until I got XMRadio. The first time I heard his show I almost crashed my truck! Very funny guy.

Dave

Teamcasa

Since everyone is adamant that Lexan won't shatter, then I must concede I was mistaken. Perhaps it was in fact plexiglass.

Reply to
TBM

And just for the record and your own piece of mind, you weren't the "historically (and consistently) misinformed individual" to whom I referred.

Reply to
LRod

I have shattered polycarbonate, all it takes is a bad design with sharp inside corners. Avoid that and the stuff is literally bullet proof.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf