Levels Do Die

I know that many tools do die. Or get stolen, misplaced, damaged, etc. I have three levels I bought at least thirty years ago. I haven't had to use them much for a few years. I bought a small torpedo level to fix some bookshelves, but the other levels have help up fine over the years.

Well, I have a project now that needs the levels. The cheap one "lost its bubble". I tossed it. I grabbed another much better one. It would allow a vertical line in some places on the wall, and a few degrees off on another part of the wall. No matter what I did, it just would not put up consistent vertical lines.

Sooooo...., off to the store to buy another level. I don't know why I should be surprised. I figured if they lasted this long, they would last even longer. I have tools that I bought over 40 years ago that are still doing fine. But levels, apparently, die of old age. I guess I share that trait with levels. But not just yet!

How about you guys? Do your levels die? Do you need to replace them on a semi regular basis? I never used mine that much. So I thought it would last. Apparently not.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I kinda laser stuff now... or use a 24" Stanley level which I lose so often, they kinda stay new that way.

Reply to
Robatoy

Well, we usually kill them before they die a natural death. Having said that, I do have an older 24" Stabila that is no longer accurate.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

I remember my grandfather always flipping his level end-to-end and averaging the reading. It's a wooden one. I still have it.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Lee Michaels" wrote in news:000712fd$0$1494$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

*snip*

You can keep track of them? I've got a 24" level somewhere around here that's been missing for months. Maybe it's just that level, but it just seems to get used, then get lost, found, used, and lost again.

I've done better with my 48" level. It usually gets put back on its hook.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I Have couple that my father bought in the late 50's there still good. I was told many years ago by a master carpenter that levels have to be treated very gently (no droping or hard knocks) or they would go out of level.

Len

Reply to
Len

RE: Subject

As Robotoy noted:

End for end and average.

It's a form of differential measurement, eliminating the error introduced by the measuring device.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I bought a bright yellow one today. I should be able to find it.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Lee Michaels" wrote in news:000770e3$0$1471$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Yeah right!!! The always lost 24" level is a bright yellow. (Not bright bright yellow like neon, but standard bright yellow.)

I'm going to have to get one of those remote finders next time I find the

24" yellow level. With my luck, the batteries would die and the level would be lost again.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

How hard could it be to provide an adjustment screw on the bubble gizmo?

Reply to
HeyBub

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 15:49:25 -0700, Lee Michaels wrote (in article ):

Yeah, usually goes something like this. Year one, 4-foot level gets placed inside a custom wood box after use. Year two, level occasionally gets left out of its box, usually found leaning against a wall. Year three, box is now used to hold fly rod sections, level has been dropped several times by now. Year four, level occasionally used as a straight edge for cutting plywood or scoring drywall. Year five, level (now full of nicks and cuts) gets used as a scree for tile thinset since I can't find my scree. Year six, level gets left behind wall (at least I think that is where it is). Do I want to tear out the drywall or get a new level, hmmm....

-BR

Reply to
Bruce

That's how we check them when we're buying new ones too. I've seen a few brand new levels that weren't very close.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

The tool manufacturers have a solution for you: check out the price on a 4' Stabila level. Drywall tape and mud are on aisle 6, by the way.

Reply to
whit3rd

On 10 Jan 2010 03:48:04 GMT, the infamous Puckdropper scrawled the following:

My 24" sees the most use and gets banged around, but it keeps coming back for more. My 48" with the angle guage seldom gets used and is well kept, and my 72" is -always- put back and is well taken care of. I really should get a piece of pvc pipe to house these things...

--============================================-- Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. ---

ToolyRoo(tm) and Possum(tm) Handy Pouches NOW AVAILABLE!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If it's just the vials and not actually bent, they'll replace it. From their website:

"The vials on all STABILA levels will not fog, leak, or become inaccurate. If they do, you will be given a new level. Bent frames void warranty."

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Yeah I know, I've just been too lazy to go through the proper gyrations.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Hey! Have you been spying on me again?