Leveling Waterstones?

I have a Norton 1000/4000 waterstone that I use mainly for plane irons but also for chisels.

Eventually I will need to level it.

What do you use to level waterstones?

I have a 11-1/2" diamond grit (325) stone...will that work?

Can I use some wet/dry paper on a flat surface?

I have trouble paying $60 for a Norton leveling stone exclusively for that purpose, ya see...and I'd like to use something that has other uses than that.

Thanks for any advice.

Jones.

Reply to
Jones

A level?

Would you rather flatten it?

Sand paper on top of a granite tile.

Reply to
Leon

That's what I use.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I have a norton flattening stone. But I think it was about $25. (From woodcraft,so you know it wasn't a bargain!)

Reply to
MB

Cheapest flattening plate you can imagine is a cinder block. I use one to flatten my waterstones all the time and it works great.

joe

Reply to
joe

Should do.

Yep

This is what I use:

's a lot less than $60. It may have other uses. Levelling is all I use it for.

Reply to
Tanus

Concrete paving slab (my doorstep) used wet. Works fine, just wash it well afterwards -- waterstone slurry is as slippery as greased weasel shit.

Same slab used dry also works for flattening cuttlefish bone (casting moulds).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

... and you know that because ...?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I have a norton flatteniong stone, but you can also rub two waterstones together and they both will become flat. This is why I will no longer buy combo stones. It's kind of hard to flatten one side of a stone with the other side.

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

Yabut! You have an advantage 'cause the main Lee Valley store is just a (relative) hop skip and jump away for you. Not fair (in a whiny sort of voice).

Reply to
Doug Brown

Well I think I agree with you but you really gotta go over to alt.home.repair - they have this either really interesting or really lame discussion going on about rips in the space time continuum and all.

Reply to
Doug Brown

Sigh. It used to be. From the house, it's about 40 miles. A year or so ago, I worked in a building kitty corner from the flagship.

I found it almost sacrilegious not to go in once a week. Now, I don't get in the store more than once a month, and they've removed the name from my easy chair, given preferred parking to a homeless man, and they've mostly forgotten who I am.

SWMBO is real happy that there isn't that constant drain on the bank acct. tho.

Reply to
Tanus

Yeah. I guess it would work if you could get one side of the stone in one brane and the other side in another brane...or something.

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

Thank you for all the replies.

Jones.

Reply to
Jones

You...stoner.

Reply to
Jones

Get in the shop and make something.

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

Flip it over on its back side and use it as a coarse stone.

Reply to
Michael Faurot

GOOD Question!!

Once you get the grease applied to the weasel it's _really_ difficult to keep them around until they shit.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Now I'm confused. Is it the weasel or the shit that's greased??????

If it's the weasel, I understand your point, if it's the shit, can I still use the weasel for a push stick?

jc

Reply to
joe

Even with shipping it isnt too bad

but i cant talk every time i drive to work i pass within 200 yards of Lee Valley HQ

Brent in Ottawa

Reply to
Brent