Leveling Waterstones?

Page 1 of 2
I have a Norton 1000/4000 waterstone that I use mainly for plane irons but also for chisels.
Eventually I will need to level it.
What do you use to level waterstones?
I have a 11-1/2" diamond grit (325) stone...will that work?
Can I use some wet/dry paper on a flat surface?
I have trouble paying $60 for a Norton leveling stone exclusively for that purpose, ya see...and I'd like to use something that has other uses than that.
Thanks for any advice.
Jones.

A level?
Would you rather flatten it?
Sand paper on top of a granite tile.

That's what I use.
I have a norton flattening stone. But I think it was about $25. (From woodcraft,so you know it wasn't a bargain!)

Cheapest flattening plate you can imagine is a cinder block. I use one to flatten my waterstones all the time and it works great.
joe
Jones wrote:

Should do.

Yep
This is what I use: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pU067&cat=1,43072,43071
It's a lot less than $60. It may have other uses. Levelling is all I use it for.

--

Tanus

http://www.home.mycybernet.net/~waugh/shop /
Tanus wrote:

Yabut! You have an advantage 'cause the main Lee Valley store is just a (relative) hop skip and jump away for you. Not fair (in a whiny sort of voice).
Doug Brown wrote:

Sigh. It used to be. From the house, it's about 40 miles. A year or so ago, I worked in a building kitty corner from the flagship.
I found it almost sacrilegious not to go in once a week. Now, I don't get in the store more than once a month, and they've removed the name from my easy chair, given preferred parking to a homeless man, and they've mostly forgotten who I am.
SWMBO is real happy that there isn't that constant drain on the bank acct. tho.
--

Tanus

http://www.home.mycybernet.net/~waugh/shop /

Even with shipping it isnt too bad
but i cant talk every time i drive to work i pass within 200 yards of Lee Valley HQ
Brent in Ottawa
Brent wrote:

That qualifies as a gloat IMO, so let me be the first to say "You _suck_!"
--John

Flip it over on its back side and use it as a coarse stone.

remove ".invalid".

Concrete paving slab (my doorstep) used wet. Works fine, just wash it well afterwards -- waterstone slurry is as slippery as greased weasel shit.
Same slab used dry also works for flattening cuttlefish bone (casting moulds).
Andy Dingley wrote:

... and you know that because ...?

GOOD Question!!
Once you get the grease applied to the weasel it's _really_ difficult to keep them around until they shit.

Now I'm confused. Is it the weasel or the shit that's greased??????
If it's the weasel, I understand your point, if it's the shit, can I still use the weasel for a push stick?
jc

If you are in a rush, freeze the weasel first. If not, sun-dried. Takes a while.
On 1 Mar, 18:59, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

Kittymalt hairball remedy. You put the grease _inside_ the weasel, then they empty rapidly.

I have a norton flatteniong stone, but you can also rub two waterstones together and they both will become flat. This is why I will no longer buy combo stones. It's kind of hard to flatten one side of a stone with the other side.
--
www.garagewoodworks.com

Garage_Woodworks wrote:

Well I think I agree with you but you really gotta go over to alt.home.repair - they have this either really interesting or really lame discussion going on about rips in the space time continuum and all.

Yeah. I guess it would work if you could get one side of the stone in one brane and the other side in another brane...or something.